CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Android Dev

Hi all, Im currently working on my very first android project, and I must admit I have very little clue as to what I am doing.

The Java coding is going well so far, the only thing I am having an issue with at the moment is layouts.

I am attempting to create a custom control with a custom layout. The only issue is I can not seem to find a way to link my layout to my custom control unless my control is an activity. If I make my control an activity then its not a custom control and I can not use it as such.

I need to use custom reusable controls in this project as the app is going to be very large. Anyone have a good understanding of how to accomplish this? Or perhaps has a link to a site where this is explained in detail?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Android Dev

Does anyone have any info at all?

Could someone point me in the direction of a forum that is active with android? Ive posted this same issue on several others with no response. And I am still finding little to no explanation on the net. A tutorial would be great, but a forum where I could actually get someone who knows about android would be just as welcomed. Thank you again

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I may have missed the point, but when I google for 'android application development', I get 50,300,000 results, the first of which is the link nuzzle suggested (a good link). For 'android application development forum' I get 17,300,000 results, the second of which is the forums page at the link nuzzle suggested...

Sometimes this site feels like a Google front-end.

Just sayin'

One can think effectively only when one is willing to endure suspense and to undergo the trouble of searching...
    J. Dewey
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

Honestly for someone who has NEVER even used eclipse, the android dev page is only slightly helpful. Even some of the code / examples are broken and dont work in the instances (or in they way) they portray them to.

either way I figured it out from reading a bunch of stack overflow posts (most of which were not helpful) and trial and error.

New to Java + New to android, just wanted a little explanation.... Thanks

Lastly does anyone know where I may be able submit inaccuracies to the android dev team since the link I was provided with is riddled with broken code mainly caused by typos / incorrect API information? This would make it a bit easier to develop for android if many of their examples worked. Or perhaps its just me, but as a new developer their page really does very little in the way of help.

PS dlorde you have missed the point. I wasnt looking for an general answer of how many results you could return for a google search of "android application development". I asked a Specific question on how to accomplish a task. Thanks for your attempt, but not at all what I needed.
    Last edited by DKS1282; June 29th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by DKS1282 View Post
    PS dlorde you have missed the point. I wasnt looking for an general answer of how many results you could return for a google search of "android application development". I asked a Specific question on how to accomplish a task. Thanks for your attempt, but not at all what I needed.
    OK, no problem - I must have misunderstood when you said "Could someone point me in the direction of a forum that is active with android?", because the second link in the Google search I posted was exactly that...

If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative...
    W. Allen
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.