CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Multi-Project Solution in visual studio 2008 (C++/CLI) (Windows Form Application).

I am beginner in visual studio 2008 (C++/CLI) (Windows Form Application).
    Can anyone help me Please..?
    I want to know that how we can create multi-project solution in following way?
    for example..
    I have two projects "A" and "B".
    can form of "B" called from "A"'s click event?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Multi-Project Solution in visual studio 2008 (C++/CLI) (Windows Form Application)

As of your post it's not clear why you want to have multiple projects at all. What is your reason why you don't want have the two froms in a single project? You really need to explain your scenario a bit more.

Aside from that, of course it's possible, for instance by making the "slave" project a DLL and/or exposing the form in question as a COM object. (However, I must admit that I don't have really much experience with that, especially writing COM stuff. )

Ah, and... Welcome to CodeGuru!
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: Multi-Project Solution in visual studio 2008 (C++/CLI) (Windows Form Application)

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    it's possible, for instance by making the "slave" project a DLL and/or exposing the form in question as a COM object.
    Why COM? Windows Form can be added to C++/CLI Class Library project and used by any client .NET project.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
    Why COM?
    I just wanted to mention some options. (I have even more in mind but I must admit some of them are rather weird... )

Windows Form can be added to C++/CLI Class Library project and used by any client .NET project.
    I didn't try that myself yet but I assumed it, since forms are essentially nothing else than a class and I actually already did expose classes from DLLs.

Thanks for clarification.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

@Eri523

Thanks for your quick reply

Our company have too many (more than 20 in numbers) products (Hardware units) needs separate UI to handle Inputs and Outputs.

1. It is difficult to handle different software application for each product.

2. If customer has more than one products of our company then he should be able to select dynamically which application will run.

Ah, I see. This looks like a scenario where you have a common app for all hardware soutions that implements the GUI and loads DLLs that implement harware interfacing and perhaps other stuff specific to each individual type of hardware. Alternatively, you could have an individual app for each hardware type that loads a common DLL implementing the GUI, but I think the other solution is the more "canonical" one.

(... and in fact no COM... )

Quote Originally Posted by Prajakt View Post
    2. If customer has more than one products of our company then he should be able to select dynamically which application will run.
    So the software we're talking about runs on a single PC, potentially cotroling more than one of these hardware units, rather than the hardware units themselves?