CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is it possible to get a screenshot of another computer in the network?

Just wondering if this is possibe to get a screenshot of another computer that's in the same network (?)

I have a working code that can get the screenshot of the current computer, but now I wonder if getting the screenshot of another computer is possible..

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it possible to get a screenshot of another computer in the network?

I think you would have to run a server application on the remote computer that sends the screenshot upon request from the requesting application. Think about the security if you could just run a program on your computer that would give you the screen shot of any other computer on your network. If there is a way, I'm pretty sure Bill Gates would be interested.

been searching for a better approach in the net (google).. most of the responses to this type of question was - ".. are you trying to create a virus or something?"

the reason why I asked this is I have a program that monitors another (program) and follows that program while it progress executing several SQL queries. if a step fails on that program, then my monitoring program will send out a notification email. i have the app console program installed in one computer but the program runs on 2 computers (polling). i can easily get a screenshot of the local computer but wanted to get the screenshot of the other computer if it fails there. for development, both computers are in my desk, but in PRD, the boxes will be setup in a computer room. the email notification with the attached screenshot will help us and the support staff to see right away what the error is and what went wrong.

the reason why I asked this is I have a program that monitors another (program) and follows that program while it progress executing several SQL queries
    I've always done this by getting the running program (i.e. the one which needs to be monitored) to drop log files into a shared file location which the monitoring application reads from.

You can log all console output by using the following command line :

Code:
    mycommandscript.cmd > logfile.txt 2>&1
    The other (simple) way of doing this is to write an application which will write to a database table which the monitoring program reads from.

Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

Yeah, the whole screenshot route is not the way to go. However, you might want to run a VNC server on those remote machines so you can operate them (and monitor) from any other computer.