CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need advice on building a windows application that will run constant alerts for users

I am new to the forums and I am looking for tips, advice, direction… for developing a windows application that will help us monitor a database and report alerts to the user.

I think what we want to achieve is a windows application that will run as a service or app that will run in the background, maybe an icon on the status bar that will display alerts.

The main goal is to monitor a database that is being constantly logged. We log errors from our applications and we want to monitor and display alerts if errors continue to crop up. Maybe if one error type for a specific application or perhaps we can set levels on the error type and display alerts based on severity.

Perhaps the windows app can be customized by the user to pay attention to particular applications or particular error counts in a given time frame.

I can work out the business rules and build stored procedures to help work out the logic, but I am looking for ways to achieve the application to run on Windows and in the background.

This is new to me and I apologize for the generic description.

Thanks

Re: Need advice on building a windows application that will run constant alerts for u

The question is sort of broad. There are copious tutorials on C#-database interfaces. Choose your database of interest and run a Google search for "C# <DB of interest> interface tutorial".

For alerts, you might want to look into using a NotifyIcon? Alternatively, you might look into programmatic sending of e-mail (useful link: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-b6df87c25cc8/).

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful. Good luck!
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Re: Need advice on building a windows application that will run constant alerts for u

Quote Originally Posted by BioPhysEngr View Post
    The question is sort of broad. There are copious tutorials on C#-database interfaces. Choose your database of interest and run a Google search for "C# <DB of interest> interface tutorial".

For alerts, you might want to look into using a NotifyIcon? Alternatively, you might look into programmatic sending of e-mail (useful link: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-b6df87c25cc8/).

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful. Good luck!
    The Request was also broad, no specs.. just a verbal request to build a component that we can run on a few developer machines to monitor errors. Each developer can choose to monitor only their applications or see all errors that are being logged.

The application will put severity on error types, for example if an application is throwing "timeout" errors and it seems to be happening frequently.. we can mark it as a higher severity and get a developer to look at it quickly.

Another aspect is simple health monitoring of applications. We should be able to plot errors in a given time period for an application and show that to a manager on their console.

Make more sense?

Thanks