CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Manipulating a resultSet for mutiple use

I have worked with this a couple of times, and got it to work using an Array, but I wanted to try it in a different way. Basically I have a query that would give me these DB results:

ID CODE DESCRIPTION1 POS SORTER DATE
    ---- ------ ---------------- ----- -------- ------
    WEB 2003SP Spring 2003 1 1 1-1-2003
    WEB 2003FL Fall 2003 2 1 8-1-2003
    WEB 2003SU Summer 2003 3 1 5-1-2003
    WEB 2003Q1 Quarter 1 2003 4 2 1-1-2003
    WEB 2003Q2 Quarter 2 2003 5 2 4-1-2003
    WEB 2003Q3 Quarter 3 2003 6 2 7-1-2003
    WEB 2003Q4 Quarter 4 2003 7 2 10-1-2003

So, what I was wanting to do now, is use these results to populate my HTML table. Here is how I was looking at populating the table (take a look at the comments in the code):

Code:
       <table>
        <tr>
          <td>Terms</td>
          <td>Date</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td colspan="2">UG Terms</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td>All Sections</td>
        <tr>
          <td>  <!-- HERE I WOULD WANT TO PRINT ALL TERMS WHERE SORTER = '1' --></td>
        </tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td>Other Sections</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><!-- HERE I WOULD WANT TO PRINT ALL TERMS WHERE SORTER = '1' --></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td>Winter</td>
        <tr>
          <td><!-- HERE I WOULD WANT TO PRINT ALL TERMS WHERE SORTER = '1' and REPRESENTATION.substring(0,5) = 'Spring' --></td>
        </tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td>Summer</td>
        <tr>
          <td><!-- HERE I WOULD WANT TO PRINT ALL TERMS WHERE SORTER = '1' and REPRESENTATION.substring(0,5) = 'Summer' --></td>
        </tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td colspan="2">Other Terms</td>
        </tr> 
        <tr>
          <td>All Sections</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><!-- HERE I WOULD WANT TO PRINT ALL TERMS WHERE SORTER = '2' --></td>
        <tr>
      </table>
    So again, Where the comments are is how I want to fill out the table, I am thinking this is possible, and I was just wondering how to go about doing this. Thanks for the help, and if more info is needed, please let me know.

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Manipulating a resultSet for mutiple use

Could you clarify what your Java problem is? This looks like an HTML/Javascript problem...

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all...
    P. Drucker
    Please use &#91;CODE]...your code here...&#91;/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

The "java question" is how to manipulate a resultset in the ways listed from the Original Post. As far as I know, it isnt a javascript question. It does involve HTML, because that is where the results are going (an HTML table), but the true question is about java. I apologize if it wasn't clear, but I am looking for help with manipulating a resultset in the way that is listed on the comments in the code

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

You use a ResultSet by iterating over it by row (using the next() method) and extracting column values using the getXxxx() methods. By default, it's a one-way, one-time iteration, so if you want to use the data multiple times with different filters, you should extract it into suitable local storage - usually a class instance per row, stored in an ArrayList.

How you actually put this data into a HTML table depends on the context - e.g. for a web server operation you might use JSP, or a servlet; or outside a server, you might just have a String containing HTML into which you want to insert values at the specified points...

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler...
    A. Einstein
    Please use &#91;CODE]...your code here...&#91;/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.