CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Guidance required for C++ GUI Development

Well I a newbie for Object Oriented programming, I have to work on an FPGA, develop its hardware logic and later develop an Windows and Linux based application which displays data from the FPGA.

The FPGA vendor has provided API's in C++. And my GUI needs to be on top of these API's. Well I am a more hardware guy, am pretty confused to interface these vendor API's and GUI.

I tried Microsoft C++ Express to develop some small GUI form based applications like Calculator and other simple stuff.

Please guide me and point to some references where API and the GUI codes are interfaced.

Re: Guidance required for C++ GUI Development

If your target OS are Windows and Linux, you need cross-platform GUI framework. Most popular are Qt and wxWidgets. Qt has also small IDE (Qt Creator), which can replace Visual Studio IDE. There are also several cross-platform IDE, available both on Windows and Linux, like CodeBlocks. Using these IDE (which are much better that Qt Creator), you can create projects of any types, including Qt and wxWidgets UI projects.
    Qt is completely free for now. wxWidgets is also free, but its form designer DialogBlocks has some restriction (maximal number of controls in a dialog), to get full functionality, you need to pay about 100$.
    I am working with the similar project (cross-platform, GUI, hardware access), my tools are wxWidgets, DialogBlocks, CodeBlocks.

Thanks a lot Alex for your prompt reply. Well, I am completely new to wxWidgets. The vendor has provided one example of wxWidgets.
    But in the case of Visual C++ express , the API provided by vendor does provide values (true and false) and other information about the FPGA. Our goal is to capture the data(binary) coming from the FPGA and store it in a file. Therefore I have to develop applications for the same.
    The options for applications on windows seems to be Visual C++ Express and WxWidgets and on linux machine it looks like gtk, glade, qt, and WxWidgets.
    But my problem is how to interface API's with the GUI?
    Plzz Help!!!!

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

First design the GUI's look and feel, using some dummy data if necessary. Worry about the actual interface once you have something to interface to.

UI framework and SDK using are not related. In Windows SDK contains h-files, lib and Dll. You should be able to use SDK from any development environment and from any project type.
    Typical SDK using in Windows:
    1. Include SDK h-file(s) to your source file.
    2. Aff SDK .lib filt to the linker libraries list.
    3. Call SDK functions and classes.
    4. Ensure that SDK Dll is available at runtime.

I suggest you to try SDK in a simple Console application, with any development environment (even VC++ Express is OK...). After solving this problem, think about UI.

But my problem is how to interface API's with the GUI?
    A vendor's API is typically independent of any GUI (well, you just use another API for controlling GUI, like Win32 API, GTK, etc. ). Try to get along with the API having your program a plain console app. Later, after having a good grip on it you'll be able to make use of your knowledge in GUI as well.
    Best regards,
    Igor