CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

View Poll Results: Are you a professional software developer / frequent software development at work

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Professional developer / Frequent software development

7 100.00%
  • No - I'm not a professional software developer but an enthusiast / student/ otherwise occupied/

0 0%

Question Are you a professional IT-developer / Do you program on a regular basis at work?

Hi,

Just wondering how many of you guys actually do software development on a regular basis at work!

Are you a developer? A technical manager that likes to code in his/her free time? An employee that does development at work so as to automate processes at work/boost effectiveness?

Are you even employed? Or do you work as a freelance developer?

Feel free to share

EDIT: Updated title so as to avoid confusion
    Last edited by blaurent; July 1st, 2011 at 07:41 AM.

Re: Are you a professional developer / Do you develop on a regular basis at work?

Do you know about chemistry ?

Re: Are you a professional developer / Do you develop on a regular basis at work?

I store a developer who once was announced as a second substitute in my trashbin. she was a wild cat (compared to a dog like me) waiting for an old dirty married man stopping by to eat sushi togedar

I develop Software Permanently ...

That is my work and profession..

I spend 18 out of 24 hours a day infront of my Laptop Working on Code ... (ASP, Borland C, VB.NET, SQL, and others) ....

and TBH i still learn something new at least once a week .....

so My poll answer is YES ....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledidas View Post
    Do you know about chemistry ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maejie View Post
    I store a developer who once was announced as a second substitute in my trashbin. she was a wild cat (compared to a dog like me) waiting for an old dirty married man stopping by to eat sushi togedar
    Hahaha! I've updated the OP! I hope it's much clearer now

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    I develop Software Permanently ...

That is my work and profession..

I spend 18 out of 24 hours a day infront of my Laptop Working on Code ... (ASP, Borland C, VB.NET, SQL, and others) ....

and TBH i still learn something new at least once a week .....

so My poll answer is YES ....
    Wow man that's a lot of hours! And a lot of different languages too! How do you manage to remain focused on so many different projects? I mean, VB.NET Borland C and ASP are very different from one another, how can you within a single day jump from one to the next language?

As for myself I'm a junior developer (just about 9 months now) and work with Flex and Java for the front end of a fairly big portal. I'll interrupt my career so as to do my Master degree. Then jump back into software development In a day I'll probably spend 12-14 hours doing code, taking into account the (in average) 10 hours at the office and an additional 2-4 hours of practice and side projects at home. I've voted for Yes.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by blaurent View Post
    Wow man that's a lot of hours! And a lot of different languages too! How do you manage to remain focused on so many different projects? I mean, VB.NET Borland C and ASP are very different from one another, how can you within a single day jump from one to the next language?
    It's not too difficult to manage projects in the different languages.. The biggest problem is the Syntax ...

IE:
    C and Delphi have the { - } , SQL has Begin - End, and VB has End (If/ Sub/Class/Namespace)
    Then there's the Operators .. =, !=, ==, <> . although you start to remember which one works where..
    Lastly some languages need the ending ';' ...

All new projects I develop are in VB.Net, And I only maintain some of the older app's in the other languages, until they need the rewrite...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

Talking Re: Are you a professional developer / Do you develop on a regular basis at work?

IE:
    C and Delphi have the { - } [...]
    Errr, yes. But, if memory serves, in one they denote an execution and scope control block and in the other one a comment...
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

okay .. you may be right, And now talking about comments.. each language has a different comment system...
    • { .... }
    • ' ....
    • <- .... ->

Did i miss any ????

Did i miss any ????
    Certainly. Just to mention a few:
    • x86 (and probably a bunch of others) assembly language: ; ...
    • PostScript: % ...
    • and, last but not least, C/C++: /* ... */ or // ...

Please nobody might bash me because the second form of comment I listed for C/C++ was introduced into C sometime after the initial version of the language...
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: Are you a professional IT-developer / Do you program on a regular basis at work?

Quote Originally Posted by blaurent View Post
    Hi,

Just wondering how many of you guys actually do software development on a regular basis at work!

Are you a developer? A technical manager that likes to code in his/her free time? An employee that does development at work so as to automate processes at work/boost effectiveness?

Are you even employed? Or do you work as a freelance developer?

Feel free to share

EDIT: Updated title so as to avoid confusion
    Well, I actually do programming training ( VB6, VB.NET, C#, Java )

In the situation I am in, I am the only programmer at work, so if there are stuff that needs to be made, I must make it, mostly, sadly, on my own. At first it was a huge battle - because I am not the sharpest tool in the toolshed, but 13 years on, and it is going fine.

Sometimes training is slow, so I always try to find new stuff to make my life easier - not only at work, but at home as well.