CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exotic number representations

Hi

I was just browsing around, searching for exotic number representations, and was suprised to find only really few different ways to represent numbers.

1. widely used integer and floating point.
    2. Roman or Babylonian ( like MCXXV)
    3. Double base Number systems
    4. Residue Number Systems.

each has different advantages and disadvantages.

I did not find something based on prime numbers like
    (1)=2
    (1,0)=3
    (1,0,0)=5
    (1,0,1)=10
    (1,1,0)=15
    (2,1,0)=75
    (x,y,z)=5^x*3^y*2^z

Does anybody know the prime numbers - number representation, what keyword can I search for?
    Does anybody know other exotic number representations?

GMarco

Re: Exotic number representations

You may be interested in Godel Numbering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del_numbering
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Well it is not very smart to use prime numbers, since it is NP-hard to find the prime factors. Search for prime factorization for more information.

Other ways to represent numbers is by using an surjective function. Of course this still uses some base number reprsentation, but each number is mapped into its true form.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliusbk View Post
    Well it is not very smart to use prime numbers, since it is NP-hard to find the prime factors.
    It may not be efficient when used as a general-purpose numbering system. But maybe it is useful for specific applications. For instance, many years ago I used a CAS that employed prime factors to represent a set of "bit flags" stored in a single numeric variable independent of any number base. I.e., if the number was divisible by the prime specific for the flag, the flag was set, otherwise not. I found that a really elegant solution.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by GMarco View Post
    I was just browsing around, searching for exotic number representations, and was suprised to find only really few different ways to represent numbers.
    You have the complex numbers and their more exotic relatives the quarternions and the octonions.