CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Merging local and remote folders.

Hello everybody! I would like to write an application that makes Windows see the contents of a remote and local folders when accessing a local one. That is, if I have a remote folder with files a.txt and b.txt, and a local folder with files c.txt and d.txt, what I would like to do is that when I open the local folder with explorer I see the 4 files a/b/c/d.txt.
    The remote folder is shared with CIFS.

Is it already done? Can someone give me a clue on how to start?

Thanks a lot in advanced!!!

Re: Merging local and remote folders.

for this there is already an app ( Drop box ) , however you can start with this
    Code:
    vector<string>localfiles  // this holds list of local file.
    vector <string>remotefiles // this list hold remote files.
    then you can write file watched class this runs it it own thread to watch changed made to the remote and local file folder ( assuming that ) you have either some RPC / FTP way of communication this thee remote folder ,

so it simple terms if a file exist in remote folder and is not in the list of local folder then download it to local folder and then update the list of the local folder , same for the remote.

Of course your file watcher class would have incorporate Events for deletion , modify and Creation of files on the remote and local folders.

Thans for your replay aamir121a!
    I think I did not explain what I want to do clear enough... I want to see and access both the contents of a local and remote folders, but without copying anything, just as if the two folders were one (ignoring file duplication issues, and things like that). I could access the remote folder using SAMBA/CIFS, so there is no need to copy anything.

As far as I now Dropbox can't do this...

Thanks!

there is no way in SMB / SAMBA to do this , if you want to visualize file from remote and local as one then yop have write a custom control ( best to start with QT or wxwidgets) I do not know what level of C++ programming you do however , principle is still the same ,
    one list for remote other for local , control should be able to display them as one file , then you would have to you can take a tree widget and try to extend it some thing like this

http://www.ajaxline.com/best-javascript-tree-widgets

although the widget here is in Javascript , concept is still the same , start with root node and then expand it from there to incorporate remote and local file listing .