CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Proxy only for WebBrowser

Is it possible to set a WebBrowser control to use a proxy connection without changing all the other browsers also changing to that proxy?

To clarify, I have an application that is monitoring a website but refreshing often enough during the day that I'm getting "you've made too many requests, please try again later". I'd like to get around that by using a proxy. Unfortunately not all anonymous proxies can be trusted for secure information like credit card information, so I only want to proxy the webbrowser control and not proxy any other non-application browsers.

There is a site that explains quite well how to change the proxy (link not included, not certain on whether link posting allowed) but it changes the global settings on all browsers.

I've tried to use 3rd party components (ex IPWorks HTTP control) however that doesn't work well with script-heavy sites that load and update dynamically - it only gets the empty skeleton of the page before being populated from the server DB.

Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Proxy only for WebBrowser

The browser using a WINDOWS proxy. A Virtual Machine *might* not use the proxy of the server, but I haven't tried. Use your own site...
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Re: Proxy only for WebBrowser

Quote Originally Posted by Tolvor View Post
    Is it possible to set a WebBrowser control to use a proxy connection without changing all the other browsers also changing to that proxy?

To clarify, I have an application that is monitoring a website but refreshing often enough during the day that I'm getting "you've made too many requests, please try again later". I'd like to get around that by using a proxy. Unfortunately not all anonymous proxies can be trusted for secure information like credit card information, so I only want to proxy the webbrowser control and not proxy any other non-application browsers.

There is a site that explains quite well how to change the proxy (link not included, not certain on whether link posting allowed) but it changes the global settings on all browsers.

I've tried to use 3rd party components (ex IPWorks HTTP control) however that doesn't work well with script-heavy sites that load and update dynamically - it only gets the empty skeleton of the page before being populated from the server DB.

Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance.
    Try some less known browsers like maxthon or flock.. maybe that way works..