CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Question Is MFC outdated ? And if so what to use to make VS C/C++ GUI's ?

I come from programming C/C++ on Unix and MCU's, and have now swithed to learning MS windows GUI programming, and I'm using VS 2010 prof. I'm working on a project where I need to capture the graphical output from a window and do some image processing on it. I have here on codegure found two ways to capture the output from another window, but there are both based on MFC, even though as I understand it the code part to do the capture is only based on native windows API's. To leaen MFC I have now read a book that contains some info about it (Horton's VS C++ 2010), the book is great and well written but not so deep on MFC, so I'm therefore searching to find more books about MFC. But I can see on Amazon that allmost all books about MFC are at least 10 yeard old ! So my question is if MFC is outdated? And if so what is best way to make advanced graphical GUI's in C/C++ today. I am completely new to VS and I am confused with all the technologies it offer and which one I can use with C/C++. Can I mix .net with C/C++ and/or what technologies are worth learning?

Horton's great book also introduce CLR, and I can see that there are several newer books about it. Is CLR then the way forward with VS C/C++ programming? I ask this because right now I would like to learn and concentrate on only one C++ GUI technology but would like to learn a technology that will be used in the future! But it seems as MS is focusing a lot more on .net technologies!

Is the truth that MS is leaving MFC and CLR behind in favour of C# or VB with WPF and .net technologies?

I suppose that people reading this thread knows all or a lot about VS GUI technoligies, so please come with your suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by KJ78; July 17th, 2011 at 07:55 AM.