using app.config..
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: using app.config..

using app.config..

hi all,

i was using app.config for variables that i use in the code where i can have users to change some values without compiling the code

for example, in app.config i have:

<appSettings>
    <add key = "someStringVar" value = "MYNAME" />
    </appSettings>

in the main code (program.cs)

string myVar;

myVar = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["someStringVar"];

supposedly myVar = MYNAME.. when I compile the code with this value it reads this as MYNAME.
    now, i open this file in the /Debug directory (this is where the compiled file .exe is saved together with the other files) = Program1.vshost.exe.config

when I change the value to "ME", saves the file and run the .exe, it still gives me the first value of "MYNAME" instead of the new value "ME".

I placed Console.WriteLine to show/display the value of myVar and it always displays "MYNAME" as it's value.

Why is it that it don't change to the new value?

thanks in advance

Re: using app.config..

After you deploy your program, then change the deploy app.config file.
    You will see the change

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Re: using app.config..

The reason it doesn't change is because the app config files get autogenerated when you compile your app.

When you run your program under the ide, the *.vshost.config file is used. When you run your program outside the ide, the <programname>.exe.config file is used.

Both of these config files are regenerated from the App.Config file when you compile your app.

So if you debug your app (which generates new *.config files), change a setting in the vshost.config file and then debug your app again, the change will be overwritten.

If you need a change to persist, make a change to the program.exe.config file and run the app outside the ide.

...or make a change to the App.Config file.

Lastly, you should be using the ConfigurationManager class instead of ConfigurationSettings class as the latter has be deprecated.