July 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Upgraded SQL Complete with a Whole Bunch of New Features Hits the Road!
Devart has recently announced the new release of SQL Complete v3.0.
When working on the new version, Devart Team was focused on the idea of providing the most needed functionality to users. Such course has already become the strategy of Devart's product development. The intention of new product version is not just to pack the product with features, but to give users a tool that can make their work more effective. The result of this course was implementing more than a dozen of features and adding integration of SQL Complete with Visual Studio. Devart development team believes the integration will be useful for a wide range of prospective users.
Main New Features Highlights
* New SQL Server versions support
- SQL Server 2011 (codename Denali)
- SQL Azure
- SQL Server Compact edition
* Added integration into Visual Studio
- Visual Studio 2010: Professional, Premium, and Ultimate editions
- Visual Studio 2008: Professional and Team System editions
* "Go to definition" for database objects
This function allows navigating from code editor to the object in the Object Explorer (Server Explorer in VS) tree.
When the cursor is on the object identifier, the program will find the needed object and show it in the treeview on pressing F12 or clicking the corresponding item in the context menu.
If the object is declared in the script, the cursor will be moved to the beginning of its declaration.
* Code Snippets
This feature makes it easy and convenient to use fragments of code over and over. The new functionality includes:
- Showing code templates in the dropdown list
- Opening templates on pressing Tab
- Adding and editing templates with the help of templates manager
- Possibility to add parameters to templates. Parameter values are entered by a user on inserting
* New code completion features
- IntelliSense for temporary tables and table variables
- Expand EXEC statement feature. All parameters with value stoppers are inserted automatically on pressing Tab
- sys.sp_* procedures are now suggested without schema prefix in EXEC statement
- Expand ALTER statement for procedure, function, view, and trigger. Object body is inserted into the document automatically on pressing Tab
- Suggestions for DROP statements added
- Context-sensitive code completion for CREATE TRIGGER statement
- Extended support for T-SQL DECLARE statement
- Option for including default schema (dbo) into object name when pasting it into the text
- Hierarchyid data type support in code completion
* Document Outline window
This feature makes navigating through large SQL documents a real pleasure. The Document Outline window shows the structure of the current document. Besides, a user can synchronize structure with text right from the code.
* Highlight occurrences of an identifier
This unique feature allows users to see all entries of an identifier in the document text. When the cursor is on the identifier, after a time lag all occurrences of this identifier into the text are highlighted.
* SQL formatting component improved
- Stream formatting for large documents. Application no longer hangs when formatting large SQL document. User can cancel the formatting process
- Common table expression formatting supported
- New formatting options for indenting JOIN clauses
- Message for invalid statements
* Quick database object information extended
- Tool tip with parameters and descriptions of procedures and functions is shown
- Tool tip with columns list when the mouse cursor hovers over the asterisk in the SELECT list is shown
- For the alias in the FROM list, a table or expression with the list of columns is shown (if possible)
- Now name, type, keys, and some other properties are shown for columns
- Quick info is shown for the dropdown list items
* "Execute current statement" feature
Now user can execute the current SQL statement (i.e. the one where the input cursor is located) in the document using the hot key.
* Performance improvements
- Formatting speed increased
- Parsing speed of complex statements increased
* What about SQL Complete Express?
Of course, most functionality is available only in the Standard edition of SQL Complete.
But all the same some improvements were made in the Express edition. There are the new features that were added:
- Support for the new SQL Server versions
- Visual Studio integration
- SQL formatting component improvements
- "Execute current statement" feature
- Performance improvements
Pricing and Availability
Users can give the updated dbForge SQL Complete a test drive by downloading the free Express edition or the 30-day trial Standard edition at the product download page:
In spite of major advancements SQL Complete's Standard edition is available for a price of $49.95.
To leave feedback, users are welcome to the dbForge SQL Complete feedback page:
Devart is a widely recognized provider of database connectivity solutions and tools for the most popular databases, including MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, InterBase, Firebird and SQLite.
Since 1998, Devart has been focused on the development of native database data access solutions, development and database tools for a wide range of databases and development technologies. Now, Devart solutions provide the fastest data access available on the market and the broadest database support to many thousands of industry professionals.
For additional information about Devart, visit www.devart.com/company/
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width
This a Codeguru.com survey!