CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Moving into Embarcadero C++ Builder

I am a VC++ developer, have mainly worked on MFC, COM, Office Automation and ActiveX Controls.

Now there is a requirement in which I have to develop application on "Embarcadero C++ Builder".

For a VC++ developer, will it usually takes time to get hands into "Embarcadero C++ Builder" development environment?

Just like in case of VC++ where the person has to clear the concept of windows architecure , MFC Framework and COM. Is Embarcadero C++ Builder also require deep study of its framework?

What is the feasibility for a VC++ developer to start working on Embarcadero C++ Builder live projects?

Re: Moving into Embarcadero C++ Builder

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    I am a VC++ developer, have mainly worked on MFC, COM, Office Automation and ActiveX Controls.

Now there is a requirement in which I have to develop application on "Embarcadero C++ Builder".

For a VC++ developer, will it usually takes time to get hands into "Embarcadero C++ Builder" development environment?

Just like in case of VC++ where the person has to clear the concept of windows architecure , MFC Framework and COM. Is Embarcadero C++ Builder also require deep study of its framework?

What is the feasibility for a VC++ developer to start working on Embarcadero C++ Builder live projects?
    I haven't heard of Embarcadero C++ Builder before but looking at this

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder

tells me it's a RAD tool for rapid Windows developments.

It means you're not going to deal directly with the Microsoft technologies you mention you're familiar with like MFC, COM, Office Automation and ActiveX Controls. Instead you're going to work with a Windows abstraction provided by Embarcadero C++ Builder.

Still in principle it's going to be very much like using Visual C++ only the Windows abstraction will be at a higher level so you'll be even more shielded from detail. That's how you get more productive which is the purpose of a RAD tool.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    I haven't heard of Embarcadero C++ Builder before but looking at this

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder

tells me it's a RAD tool for rapid Windows developments.

It means you're not going to deal directly with the Microsoft technologies you mention you're familiar with like MFC, COM, Office Automation and ActiveX Controls. Instead you're going to work with a Windows abstraction provided by Embarcadero C++ Builder.

Still in principle it's going to be very much like using Visual C++ only the Windows abstraction will be at a higher level so you'll be even more shielded from detail. That's how you get more productive which is the purpose of a RAD tool.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.
    Thank you
    So lets say if I have a develop some advanced application using this tool, Just 15-20 days of initial tutorial overview should be enough ?
    Last edited by maverick786us; July 20th, 2011 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    Thank you
    So lets say if I have a develop some advanced application using this tool, Just 15-20 days of initial tutorial overview should be enough ?
    If you have a strong Visual C++ background I'd say you could start right away. Provided of course you know what you want to accomplish and have all necessary documentation. In a month you'd be up to speed. But if you're offered an initial tutorial you shouldn't refuse it of course.

Advanced in this context usually means a large application rather than technical sophistication. Still make sure you're familiar with the technologies you're going to be using so you don't have any late surprises. For example if it's a database application you may have to use SQL.

But remember that the whole purpose of a RAD tool is to shield you from technical detail. That's how developments get rapid. And that's most likely the reason why Embarcadero is prefered over Visual C++ in this case; You work at a higher abstraction level in order to gain productivity.

View it as an opportunity. If you need to feel 100% sure all the time you're stagnating. Just do it.
    Last edited by nuzzle; July 20th, 2011 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    If you have a strong Visual C++ background I'd say you could start right away. Provided of course you know what you want to accomplish and have all necessary documentation. In a month you'd be up to speed. But if you're offered an initial tutorial you shouldn't refuse it of course.

Advanced in this context usually means a large application rather than technical sophistication. Still make sure you're familiar with the technologies you're going to be using so you don't have any late surprises. For example if it's a database application you may have to use SQL.

But remember that the whole purpose of a RAD tool is to shield you from technical detail. That's how developments get rapid. And that's most likely the reason why Embarcadero is prefered over Visual C++ in this case; You work at a higher abstraction level in order to gain productivity.

View it as an opportunity. If you need to feel 100% sure all the time you're stagnating. Just do it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will go ahead with it