CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

temperature probes, voltage probes, etc. .dll

I am working on a program in python to monitor temperature of cpu and various other things including motherboard voltages.

I have tried using wmi, and acpi to read the probes, and have had no luck. this has been discussed here: http://www.python-forum.org/pythonfo...hp?f=1&t=26726

I am now trying to read from a dll with ctypes module and am wondering if anyone knows what .dll(s) are used to get the readings for things like Win32_TemperatureProbe. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: temperature probes, voltage probes, etc. .dll

anyone?

I think the best way to obtain these informations is to write your own driver but it requires .dll.
    You can also read about:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID (asm is necessary, it requires .dll)
    and if you can use registry in python - read about HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA.

BTW. I don't know python.

thanks for your answer, i can handle registry in python, i looked at performance data, and didnt find anything about current temperature, did i miss something? i have considered writing a driver, but i would rather not if there is another solution.

You can use WMI Object Browser or WMI Explorer to find something useful. Unfortunately - some objects / events are not available on some systems / configurations. Example: MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature - I haven't that. So that is why WMI isn't good way to obtain these informations.

Another way is using application like CoreTemp (running in background) to read temperatures, voltages etc. This is how the Core Temp windows gadget works.

Some applications are using GiveIO driver - I recommend to read more about it.

If you don't want these options, you must write your own driver. I think that this is the only and right way to do what you want to do.

umm... im not sure what giveio does. i cant find any website that tells much info of what it is and what it does. Could you explain it to me? also do you know of a good website on writing drivers? thanks!