CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: huge graphs

Question huge graphs

Hello, guys! i need to work with huge graphs (about 1 000 000 vertices)... i should apply some typical algorithms to them, like BFS, etc... my question is how to deal with those graphs? it's clear that they 'don't fit' to memory... which file formats should i use? or it's useful to deal with database... also i need to get A^k, where k=2,3,4; A is an adjacency matrix of a graph... i am gonna use C++ or C#... i'm working with a single machine, 32-bit platform...

Re: huge graphs

Quote Originally Posted by dannydrus View Post
    it's clear that they 'don't fit' to memory
    It depends on the nature of the graph.

If the adjacency matrix is sparse and you don't represent it with a two-dimensional array it may fit. The limiting factor will be the number of connections rather than the number of vertices.

Re: huge graphs

Primarily, I agree with nuzzle. You can do this by either (a) writing some classes to represent each node and keep track of the connections going out of each node, or (b) use a numerical library to represent the sparse adjacency matrix in a less memory-intensive manner. For the latter, I suggest you try a well-known package like Math.NET (link), for example. See also a list of numerical libraries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ical_libraries

If you are doing analysis, I also recommend you look into Network Workbench, if it can be adapted to your purposes. I always suggest you avoid re-inventing the wheel whenever possible.
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.