dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Porting socket program from Linux to Windows

Porting socket program from Linux to Windows

I have a project that uses BSD sockets in linux. I want it to also run in Windows. From what I gathered, I need to have conditional compiling and use Winsocks. Is there any other way I can do this? It seems unnecessary and bad coding practice to have large chunks of code for bsd sockets and then more large chunks, doing essentially the same thing, for winsocks. I am using MinGw and do not wish to use Cygwin. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Porting socket program from Linux to Windows

Well, I just did it anyway and there was definitely not large chunks of code added. Its basically the same thing.

Re: Porting socket program from Linux to Windows

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingM View Post
    Well, I just did it anyway and there was definitely not large chunks of code added. Its basically the same thing.
    As you discovered, if you have working BSD code in Linux, it's fairly easy to port to Windows. There are very few conditional compilation switches, and only a few "oddities", like the need in Windows to call WSAStartup and WSACleanup, and the change in function name from Unix’s ioctl() and close() to Winsock’s ioctlsocket() and closesocket()

A few other issues are noted at http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/articl...atibility.html

In addition, there's a section in the Winsock documentation that describes proting from Unix/Linux to Windows:
    - "Porting Socket Applications to Winsock" at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740096
    - "Windows Sockets 2 Application Programming Interface", section 3.1 - "Deviation from BSD Sockets" at ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winso...k2/WSAPI22.DOC

Mike