CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation UDP client/server communication over WAN

I am attempting to create a server and client that utilizes both TCP and UDP. The server works very well in a LAN setting but the UDP messages are not being received when transmitted over a WAN. I believe it is because the UDP socket used to send the data is not remaining in the NAT tables long enough to return any information. Is there a way to either make the UDP port stay open in the router (without port forwarding) or use the same port for UDP as the already connected TCP connection? Thanks in advance.

Re: UDP client/server communication over WAN

Unfortunatly, I don't know. I do not often write networked programs. However, a question I had was in regard to:

Quote Originally Posted by AngelOfCarnage View Post
    I believe it is because the UDP socket used to send the data is not remaining in the NAT tables long enough to return any information..
    What led you to think this? What happens if you enabled port forwarding, for example (I know that's not the final target solution, just as a debugging measure)?
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.