CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visual C++ power possibilities

Hey guys,

Been searching around about C++ possibilities. Now, what I want to know is are there possibilities to make some applications with C++? Applications like charts, databases, all that displayed with GUI coming nice along? If not, what is the best language for that? Thanks.

Re: Visual C++ power possibilities

The only limitation you have with C++ is yourself. You can make whatever you want with C++.

you have to use MFC classes along with pure core C++ for the graphical user interface purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdebugger View Post
    you have to use MFC classes along with pure core C++ for the graphical user interface purpose.
    MFC isn't a must, it just makes it easier.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

If you're just starting, for what you described, I'd go for C# or Visual Basic. .Net has a lot of that functionality built in. You can certainly do it with C++ and the Windows API, but it's a lot more work. MFC makes it substantially easier, but .Net is easier still.

Yeah, but I'm quite into C++ haven't worked in C# that's why I'm asking with C++. Anyway, have you heard about Qt? Has anyone worked with it?

http://qt.nokia.com/products/

QT is my specialty. My boss 'ordered' me to learn QT a few years ago and I still haven't regretted it. QT and MFC are comparable, but personally I think the way QT works is more solid than what MFC does. It's worth installing it and giving it a try.

I've been using Qt, MFC and win32.

Qt is easiest in use, but a big disadvantage is that when you create small projects, 100 kb. You will regret it since Qt makes 5 mb of it, because of the library. It's amazing in use, but how much is the huge file size worth?

MFC is harder and you need a fair knowledge of classes else it becomes a disaster. Disadventage for me was you can't start and trying. You've to read a lot before even attemting.

win32, amazing stuff, but its not in classes, so u've to do it yourself or code plain C. It's nice in use cause you control everything, but you need a lot of info about everyhitng. It's huge how many things for everything are.

Hope it helped you a bit. I would say -> MFC for an hobbyist. Like me.

Well I guess it's worth trying but have to learn C++ much better then. Anyway, a little off topic - has anyone used SQL about databases? Can there be GUI imported? Thanks.

has anyone used SQL about databases? Can there be GUI imported?
    SQL and GUI are 2 totally different things and have nothing to do with each other. What are you looking for ?

Actually I didn't explain well. I meant, is there like a console windows with SQL too. I meant like more GUI sophisticated not only a black console window.

SQL is a database query language - it's a totally independent language, and can be used by any kind of application, with any programming language that has a supporting database communication API available. It can be a console application, a GUI application, it can be a computer game. Hell, it can be a PlayStation 3 game, at least in theory, probably in practice too. Or something even fancier, like, I don't know NASA's super-secret space exploration application that runs on a supercomputer.
    SQL statements are passed to a (usually) remote DBMS as strings anyway, to be interpreted on the other end. And, yes, all of this is possible with C++.
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; August 14th, 2011 at 05:41 AM.

Nice explanation. Thanks!

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo View Post
    QT is my specialty. My boss 'ordered' me to learn QT a few years ago and I still haven't regretted it. QT and MFC are comparable, but personally I think the way QT works is more solid than what MFC does. It's worth installing it and giving it a try.
    Hi Skizmo. I use GTK+ for cross-platform development although I've often considered Qt as an alternative. GTK+ is great except for one thing - it leaks memory when creating objects for the first time. Unfortunately, these "one-time leaks" aren't considered to be true leaks by the GTK+ developers so are unlikely to ever get fixed. But of course that makes it incredibly difficult to find leaks in my own code when there are hundreds already in GTK+. Is this something you've ever noticed with Qt? If not, what would you say are its weak points?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

whats the full form of QT and GTK+ ?? Are they libraries provided by microsoft similar to MFC...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast