CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Binding from a XML file to UserControl through DependencyProperty

Hello everyone,

I am making a sample application test with WPF creating some UserControls to increase maintainability.

In this way I created a toolbar usercontrol where I put a combobox and I created a dependency property, since it's the best tool for binding than datacontext when having more than one binding, and in main xaml I called a xmldataprovider loading a xml file to fill the combo box in the UserControl.

in the toolbar's usercontrol xaml file I put

<pre><ComboBox ItemsSource="{Binding Path=epToolbarItemSource, RelativeSource={RelativeSource AncestorType={x:Type UserControl}}}" DisplayMemberPath="shortname" /></pre>

In the toolbar's usercontrol xaml.cs file I declared the dependency property as:

<pre>public static DependencyProperty ItemSourceToolbarProperty;

static epToolbar()
    {
    epToolbar.ItemSourceToolbarProperty = DependencyProperty.Register("epToolbarItemSource", typeof(IEnumerable),
    typeof(epToolbar));
    }

public IEnumerable ItemSourceToolbar
    {
    get { return (IEnumerable)GetValue(epToolbar.ItemSourceToolbarProperty); }
    set { SetValue(epToolbar.ItemSourceToolbarProperty, value); }
    }
    </pre>

In the Window.xaml file I declared the xmldataprovider as:

<pre><XmlDataProvider x:Key="dpOperators" XPath="operators" Source="/Data/Operators.xml" IsInitialLoadEnabled="True" /></pre>

and I declared the usercontrol setting the dependency property I thought it was correctly declared, epToolbarItemSource:

<pre><uc:epToolbar DockPanel.Dock="Top" epToolbarItemSource="{Binding Source=dpOperators, Mode=TwoWay}" /></pre>

In the examples found about Dependency Properties I always read the dependency property can be called as a property attribute when calling the usercontrol but in this case it says an error like: "The property 'epToolbarItemSource' was not found in type 'epToolbar'."

So I am asking here what's the right syntax to bind the content of xml file to the combo in the way I add new operators in the xmldataprovider so they would be inserted in xml file and refreshed the combo box?

Thanks in advance to all

Cheers, Luigi
    Last edited by npuleio; August 14th, 2011 at 11:45 AM.