CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Enumerate the browsers in one's computer

There is no function for retrieving a list of installed browsers because the Windows operating system does not distinguish programs in that way. Why should it?

If you must accomplish this, it's going to require you to write a routine that searches every executable on the computer to determine if it matches the criteria for being a browser. This means compiling a list of every browser ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Befefe View Post
    Arjay, could you delete this thread for me ? I have asked this question for 2 days and its clear that no one, except you and some others, actually pays attention to this for a reply, while you always try to make me tell me doing and my concrete type of program plot
    On some reason specific questions irritate you, it's obvious. Okay, you provide unspecific information, then don't be surprised by getting unspecific answers.

You want to obtain a list of installed browsers. Installed software in terms of Windows is a software package registered under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall (I fairly recognize that some people may argue with the definition above, but anyway.. ). So there you are to traverse Uninstall key and see if each package is a browser. Well, you definitely have to find out a reliable set of traits that let you distinguish browsers from other sort of software (names, GUIDs, whatever). I mean, find yourself, as you correctly noticed that people here hardly ever do the task you are to accomplish.

As you may understand, some software may be deployed by just copying a bunch of files, and this way it's going to slip out of the detection based on the above. So it's up to you to decide how precise the detection should be. And it may turn out that a combination of techniques needs to be implemented. Unfortunately, you persistently keep silence about this sort of details.
    Last edited by Igor Vartanov; August 20th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Thank you,
    That sounds like a nice solution. I will try it out.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Befefe View Post
    Arjay, could you delete this thread for me ? I have asked this question for 2 days and its clear that no one, except you and some others, actually pays attention to this for a reply, while you always try to make me tell me doing and my concrete type of program plot
    Your posting style of ignoring questions and giving smart-*** or nonsensical replies to posts isn't going to help you on this forum. I'm sure there are people who could help you who chose not to because of the way you chose to present yourself here.

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Sorry, i don't want to spoil any fun of halflife games, don't drag me in/

If you have nay reply to my OP, you can continue, otherwise, just ignore it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12