CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Flashing DataGrid Cell - How to do it properly

Hi,

I am developing an application that requires showing data in a datagrid and having a "flashing" animation when the value of a cell changes.

My (business object) class implements the INotifyPropertyChanged interface. I have a list of that class (via ListCollectionView)

I've figured out a way to do it using DataGridTemplateColumn and a DataTemplate:

In Window.Resources:
    <DataTemplate x:Key="FlashingCellMyProperty">
    <TextBlock Name="TextBlockValue" Text="{Binding lMyProperty, Mode=OneWay,NotifyOnTargetUpdated=True}">
    <TextBlock.Background>
    <SolidColorBrush x:Name="bgBrush" />
    </TextBlock.Background>
    <TextBlock.Triggers>
    <EventTrigger SourceName="TextBlockValue" RoutedEvent="Binding.TargetUpdated">
    <BeginStoryboard HandoffBehavior="Compose">
    <Storyboard>
    <ColorAnimation Duration="0:0:0.03" Storyboard.TargetName="bgBrush" Storyboard.TargetProperty="Color" To="Red" AutoReverse="True"/>
    </Storyboard>
    </BeginStoryboard>
    </EventTrigger>
    </TextBlock.Triggers>
    </TextBlock>
    </DataTemplate>

Then later in my window I have a grid that contains the DataGrid:
    <DataGrid AutoGenerateColumns="False" Name="dataGrid1" ItemsSource="{Binding MyList}">
    <DataGrid.Columns>
    <DataGridTextColumn Header="Strike" Binding="{Binding ExpirationPrice}"/>
    <DataGridTemplateColumn Header="My Property" CellTemplate="{StaticResource FlashingCellMyProperty}"/>
    </DataGrid.Columns>
    </DataGrid>

This works fine but it seem to me a little wasteful to have a data template for each property. Optimally I'd like to have a way to define a "style" or a control template or somehow change existing "stock" column (e.g. DataGridTextColumn) and only change the binding on each column.

I've search a lot online but didn't find the right path to follow. I am new to WPF and trying to read but there's much to read and I am not sure what subject I need to learn.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tomercagan; August 22nd, 2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Mistake in ItemSource used