CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: App Stores

Question App Stores

It is late in the day, so this might be a goofy question....

I understand why there are app stores for mobile devices. it is so you can go find the applications from your device that you want to install on your phone. You are looking for a specific version for your phone and in some cases, your phone will only let you install through that store (control issues it seems).

I'm trying to understand why there is a need for an app store for "netbooks" or for "personal computers". There are no control issues on these devices, so why would you need to submit an app through an app store?

I should add, that I was shown an example website that was created to promote a mobile app. From this page, you can click to go to an app store to get the actual app. The person wanted to do marketing to get people to go to this page so they could see the information about their app. Why wouldn't they simply send peopel directly to the app store, which I assume has information as well and the person can actually then get the application....

Thoughts?

Re: App Stores

My guess? The people "owning" the PC version of the app store gets a percentage of whatever is sold though it. As for the developers, it's an easy way to sell your app without having the hassle of setting up your own website, promoting it, etc.

My $0.02...

Viggy

Get em hooked on the app store model and they'll want it on every device.

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    Get em hooked on the app store model and they'll want it on every device.
    So how can you bail out the customers if they get hooked like that ?

App store is for mobile/smart device, Website is to attract the PC traffic effectively.