CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question 'nsqlprep' is not recognized as an internal or external command

I found a sample program (Embedded SQL C for SQL Server 2000) in the installables of MS SQL Server 2000.I ran it against MS SQL Server 2005 and I got this error.
    Running ESQL/C precompiler
    'nsqlprep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    Error executing c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

genchar.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Through internet, I found that before using nsqlprep we have to take initial steps i.e.,we have to run vcvars.bat(found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin directory) and setenv.bat(found with the sample program) form the command prompt.I have ran those batch files.But I am still getting above mentioned error.Before running I have edited the setenv.bat and set the path of the INCLUDE and LIB to the locations where I have placed the w95scm.lib and wn95scm.h,which I got from the installables of MS SQL Server 2000.

Note:I have ran this program through Visual Studio 6.0.

There are some issues of compatibility of SQL Server 2005 with Embedded SQLC.He says MS SQL Server supports SQL Server 2005 but future versions of SQL Server might not support it.Moreover,the above mentioned .lib and .h files I took it from the installables of MS SQL Server 2000 not from MS SQL Server 2005.There is only one directory lib(one .lib file found) in SDK folder in the installables of MS SQL Server 2005.

Smile Re: 'nsqlprep' is not recognized as an internal or external command

HI..

To overcome this error, verify whether SQL Development Tools is installed in your machine.
    If not install only Development tools & do the steps in below MSDN links.

If still this wont work, then copy the nsqlprep.exe & sqlaiw32.dll files from your SQL Server 2000 package in folder \SQL 2000\X86\BINN & paste these 2 files under folder
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn.

Do the steps specified in the below MSDN Links.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=sql.80).aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=sql.80).aspx

Re: 'nsqlprep' is not recognized as an internal or external command

This thread is 4 years old.

He was excited to show off what he could do in order to get hired by Jurasics Park Film producers! What job is that ? Database searcher or a low level C programmer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    He was excited to show off what he could do in order to get hired by Jurasics Park Film producers! What job is that ? Database searcher or a low level C programmer ?
    Sharpie, there is nothing to show off as I had faced similar issue & I was able to fix it by approach I mentioned. Unfortunately no one had posted a reply for this case till date & I was surprised that even portals like Code Guru cant provide a resolution. Yes I am a low level C programmer for Card Payment Solns.