CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Open Website up on file save

We need a possibility to open a website every time a user saves a file. We should be able to filter by file extension and saving program and pass this information to to the website. Any idea about how to do that?

Regards
    Hans

Re: Open Website up on file save

Is this for your own program, or do you need to do this in any program?

This has to be possible in a number of applications from different vendors. I cannot change the code of this applications. Guess I need a solution on the OS level.

Do the applications save files using unique extensions?

If they do, you could create a windows service using a file watcher to detect new files, then pass the extension and app name to your web page.

Now... the only way I personally have in mind to detect what created a new file would be using a program like handle.exe (as a process launched from your app) and redirecting it's output to your app and parsing it to find what process is utilizing the new file... but that assumes the application saving the file wouldn't have already released it by the time you were able to launch that process.

Wish I had a better answer for ya, best of luck!

My dumb advice would be to add an item to your Windows Explorer context menu. for example, when you right click on a file, THAT menu. Then, once you have created the registry entry for each file, that can be very easy then to know which app it comes from as well ( also through the registry ).

You have to keep in mind, having a seperate ADDIN in all possible apps will be quite time consuming to make, and not all applications allow you to add Add Ins to them. With MS Office, yes, you can make Add Ins, but you have to keep in mind the different Office version on the machine etc.

I'd honestly add a shortcut menu to your system context menu, then take it from there.

I hope my advice helps a bit.