CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

unit of battery capacity

Hi,

I made a small application which gives the user information about the current state and wear of their's laptop battery. Its functionality and UI is similar to CoconutBattery in the MacOSX world.
    The application works fine but I wonder whether it is possible to display the capacity in mAh instead of mWh. I could not find any information about that. But I know the hardware provides the necessary information (either capacity directly in mAh or the current battery voltage) because when I run my program under Linux (it is a cross-platform GTK app) I can read the mAh values simply from /proc/acpi/...
    I use the GetSystemPowerStatus() API call to retrieve the battery state information. I could find a GetSystemPowerStatusEx() and GetSystemPowerStatusEx2() API calls but these seem to be available under WindowsCE or WindowsMobile (or whatever this is called this year). Furthermore I use IOCTL_BATTERY_QUERY_INFORMATION and IOCTL_BATTERY_QUERY_STATUS in DeviceIoControl calls.

Thanks,

Johannes

Re: unit of battery capacity

The capacities in mAh and mWh are related via:

mWh = mAh * voltage (in Volts, not mV)

You can get the voltage from the BATTERY_STATUS structure returned when using the IOCTL_BATTERY_QUERY_STATUS code to the DeviceIoControl call. Remember this voltage will be in mV so remember to divide by 1000 first to get volts.

Re: unit of battery capacity

Thanks for the hint! I already use this IO ctrl but somehow I missed the contents of the BATTERY_STATUS struct. As it turns out, the current voltage is not what I want but rather a "design voltage" value. Otherwise, if I use the current voltage to compute the mAh values from mWh the design capactiy will change (increase when the voltage drops), which is not what I intended. So I think I will stick to the mWh values in Windows.
    Thanks anyway for the hint.

Johannes