Code:
    vector<int> Data;
    for (
      vector<int>::iterator Val= Data.begin();
      Val != Data.end();
      ++Val
      )
      {...}
    I now saw in some other guy's code something similar but using operator< instead of !=. The code is working as expected but I doubt whether this is a safe alternative (because it's unlikely that all elements of the container will be in successive order).
    Thanks for any comments!

Re: Detecting a container's end

Quote Originally Posted by greve
    I now saw in some other guy's code something similar but using operator< instead of !=. The code is working as expected but I doubt whether this is a safe alternative (because it's unlikely that all elements of the container will be in successive order).
    It is a safe alternative for std::vector because the iterators of a std::vector are random access iterators, and operator< is available for random access iterators. However, it also means that the code will not work for say, forward iterators, which would be a shame if forward iterators will do.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

!= Works for ALL flavors of iterators, no exceptions. [EDIT: Higher than output iterator]

< Works ONLY for RA iterators. At best, it < is no faster than !=, but can be slower....

Just like the i++ vs ++i debate, You are better of just using the more efficient !=, unless you have a very specific reason not to.
    Last edited by monarch_dodra; September 14th, 2011 at 03:36 AM.
    Is your question related to IO?
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch_dodra
    != Works for ALL flavors of iterators, no exceptions.
    Output iterators are an exception.

..Forgot about those output iterators....
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

Quote Originally Posted by greve View Post
    I'm used to scan through a container in a fashion like this:
    A simple scan over just about anything can be done in a highlevel way using "foreach". It's coming in the new C++ standard but in the meantime one can use BOOST_FOREACH,

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0...l/foreach.html

Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    A simple scan over just about anything can be done in a highlevel way using "foreach". It's coming in the new C++ standard but in the meantime one can use BOOST_FOREACH,

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0...l/foreach.html
    I personally avoid boost's for each: It doesn't actually bring any functionality, apart from prettier syntax, via some very hackish macro/template. Have you ever looked at the output of the processor after a FOREACH? It is a legit 30 solid lines of templates. Sure, the compiler inlines it all away, but still...

I've found that the good old fashion std::for_each works just as well, and can actually improve your program by more than just pretty syntax.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch_dodra View Post
    I personally avoid boost's for each: It doesn't actually bring any functionality, apart from prettier syntax, via some very hackish macro/template. Have you ever looked at the output of the processor after a FOREACH? It is a legit 30 solid lines of templates. Sure, the compiler inlines it all away, but still...

I've found that the good old fashion std::for_each works just as well, and can actually improve your program by more than just pretty syntax.
    Most modern languages have a built-in foreach statement and so does C++11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreach_loop

This means the Boost foreach will be somewhat sidestepped in the future. In think the Boost foreach has been a good substitute for a native foreach though. Template code has a tendency to be ugly and especially when automatically generated but who cares really. You don't have to torture yourself by looking at it. Boost foreach is efficient and offers a higher abstraction level and that's what counts to me. I leave the peeking into implementations behind the curtain to pervert masochists.

Should you use the C++11 foreach? I certainly will. In my view one should seek the highest abstraction level that's readily available. It's a sure way to improve a program. For the same reason I'm also going to use for example C++11 lambdas.
    Last edited by nuzzle; September 15th, 2011 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch_dodra
    I prefer to use more specific algorithms where applicable. I think std::for_each would be more useful with lambda functions. The thing is, although lambda functions have been introduced with C++11, the range based for loop makes this std::for_each + lambda function combination rather redundant for typical usage.