CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Help With Account Login System

Hello, this is my first post here on the CodeGuru Forums. I am new to programming, and I could really use some help.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is this:

1.) Create a Registration Form for users to create a new account in the system.

2.) Create a Login form for users to enter their username/password that they previously created.

Now, ideally, I would like it to be server - client based, where they can only register if they are connected to the server (via internet), and their username/password data would be stored server-side in a document with the platform: User - Pass (or something along those lines). The client would enter their user/pass in the login form, it would check if the user/pass exists in the server database file, and if it does, grant them access and log them in. If the login is unsuccessful, give them a "Error Logging In" message. And for registration, they would enter their desired user/pass and it would check the server database file to see if it already exists, if it doesn't exist, create the new account, write the data(new user/pass) to the server database file, and give them a "Successful Account Creation" message.

I could really use some help on this, as I'm basically a complete noob. I know how to make the very basic programs, such as a Web Browser, and I'm familiar with the VB6 IDE, but other than that, I'm bare bones.

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Help With Account Login System

Sounds like you want to create an OPERATING SYSTEM. Microsoft's system is called GINA, and you're welcome to REPLACE it, but not allowed to mess with it.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Thank you for your reply.

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I am not trying to create a replacement for the windows operating system login screens. I am trying to make a login system, like when you have to sign up for a forum, i.e. Code Guru forums. You have to go the the register page, create an account with desired user/pass and check if its available, if it is, it creates the new account on the server database, and give a success message. If it's not available, the forum will tell you. Once your account has been created you can log in and use the facilities. (In my case my program.)

I hope you understand more what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thank you.

You would need first to create a database, then a table with fields to hold your info.
    You would need to create some web/server code that sends the login/reg forms to the users machine for display and data collection.
    You would use a SQL query to valid the login info and send message back to client if invalid
    You would use a different form for the reg process along with an SQL insert query to put the data in the database.

Sounds like you need to do some reading on sql, ado and asp.

Would be a good idea to forget about VB6 and do this with VB.Net no point learning a language that is being phased out.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for your help. Is VB.NET very different from VB6? Like syntax and things? Also where can I obtain VB.NET? And is it object oriented like VB6?

Thank you.

VB.Net supports much of the pervious VB syntax but has changed quite a lot as well.
    You can get the express edition for free from microsofts web site.
    VB6 is not actually object oriented though it does support it to a degree.
    VB.Net is object oriented.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Thank you very much for all your help, DataMiser.