CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Does screen resolution affect console size?

I ask instead of finding out myself because I have way too many icons on my desktop and I don't want to rearrange them when I change the resolution.

I'm trying to find out what the largest minimum window size for my C# console program should be. The smallest laptop screen I found is 8 inches, which is ridiculously small in my opinion. My program uses text-wrapping instead of scroll bars and if the window size is too small it'll just look like a big mess.

Also if anyone has an idea on what the smallest yet still widely used laptop screen is, that'll be great. Even better if you have an idea on what the largest console size would be on that screen.

Re: Does screen resolution affect console size?

I have never seen a Windows console window that had a size different from 80 x 25 characters by default, so I think you can safely assume that. If you're into using your own console dimensions, however, you're naturally on your own.

Ah, and... Welcome to CodeGuru!
    Last edited by Eri523; September 17th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Thanks.

Is that like the default size across all Windows computers? Even on those tiny netbooks? If so then that's the perfect minimum size for my console.

AFAIK yes. This format is a legacy from the old days of DOS when the text mode display had the same dimensions, and that's why it's so common. I don't have much personal experience with netbooks, but according to Wikipedia, a common display resolution used by them is 1024 x 600 pixels, which is enough for the said character cell cont. So I think you can safely assume a console size of 80 x 25 characters on netbooks as well.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Awesome, thanks. Now development can continue!