CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

C#. net 2010 textbox

On C#.net 2010 new in asp.net and desktop applications, I am suppose to have a 'type ahead' feature. Basically a user 'starts' to type a 'company name' in a text box, and then the application comes up with options on what the user is trying to enter. This way the user does not have to enter the entire company.

I do not know what this option occurs in C#.net 2010. Can you explain this to me and/or point me to a url that would explain this option to me?

Re: C#. net 2010 textbox

Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

The feature you are talking about is "AutoComplete", and the TextBox control has AutoComplete properties in the Form control as well as the Web control... more so on the Form control though. I haven't used them as of yet, but I have seen them.

The msdn on the AutoCompleteSource property (WinForm control) gives a short code example of using a simple autocomplete list of keywords... starting from there, you should be able to manipulate as needed to handle your source words dynamically based on your own requirements.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.90).aspx

Of course as DataMiser pointed out... there are plenty of custom controls using ajax, jquery, etc in existence that perform this function as well, and are probably much more useful in the web environment than the built in textbox ability in asp.net.

What web controls have this type ahead feature?

As pointed out in the post above you are referring to "Auto Complete" Type ahead actually means that you can type faster than the system displays the typed data.

Did you look at the link I provided? Have you did a google search?
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.