CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Help: Filter and smoothing movement

Hi everyone,

I have a device with two movement sensor (pic below).

Each sensor has signal in 2 directions: x1, y1 and x2, y2. Based on the differences between two sensor I could calculate the linear and rotation movement of the device:

rotation = y1 - y2;

But when the device moves linear, it rotates little and I want to filter that rotation: when rotation is small compare to linear movement, ignore it.

And my problem is: the signal is so small, e.g. 1 or 2 units each time it send asymmetric, e.t. sensor 1 sent but sensor 2 not, etc.. so I cannot calculate.
    If signal is cumulative enough to calculate then it is a bit lag, not feeling smoothly. I have tried several simple way but haven't reached success yet

Please help me, how to filter and smoothing movement in this case? Is there any keyword, algorithm or book relate to the problem?

How do people process movement data in general?

Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PS: why can't I post image?

Re: Help: Filter and smoothing movement

It sounds like you might have problems similar to those encountered when using a pair of optical mice for dead reckoning, see "A Kinematic-independent Dead-reckoning Sensor
    for Indoor Mobile Robotics" at http://chrome.ws.dei.polimi.it/image..._2004_IROS.pdf