Inappropriate moderator behaviour
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    I posted in this thread,

    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515411

    It got closed by moderator intervention and I accept that. What I find hard to accept is that another moderator has popped in after the thread was closed and posted personal on topic views. I find this highly inappropriate. If a moderator is unable to walk the thin red line between moderating and replying as an ordinary forum member he should be released from duty.

    I request that either Arjay's post is removed or the thread is opened again so everyone can reply, not just corrupt moderators.
    Share on Google+

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,391

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle
    What I find hard to accept is that another moderator has popped in after the thread was closed and posted personal on topic views. I find this highly inappropriate. If a moderator is unable to walk the thin red line between moderating and replying as an ordinary forum member he should be released from duty.

    I request that either Arjay's post is removed or the thread is opened again so everyone can reply, not just corrupt moderators.
    I agree that replying as an ordinary forum member to a closed thread is inappropriate, but I am hard pressed to consider Arjay "corrupt" given that Arjay's post was a genuine contribution to the thread rather than an attempt to feed the flames.

    Speaking of moderating, this should probably be in the Feedback forum, heh
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

    Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful
    Share on Google+

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    I agree that replying as an ordinary forum member to a closed thread is inappropriate, but I am hard pressed to consider Arjay "corrupt" given that Arjay's post was a genuine contribution to the thread rather than an attempt to feed the flames.
    He used his moderator status to add a non-moderating reply to a closed thread. That's corrupt behaviour regardless of how well-intended the reply.

    I'm quite sensitive to this. I know the dangers. I've seen another forum completely destroyed by corrupt moderators. And I know how it starts. To paraphrase Orwell in Animal farm:

    "All forum members are equal but some forum members are more equal."
    Share on Google+

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    JHB South Africa
    Posts
    3,772

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    I posted in this thread,

    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515411

    It got closed by moderator intervention and I accept that. What I find hard to accept is that another moderator has popped in after the thread was closed and posted personal on topic views. I find this highly inappropriate. If a moderator is unable to walk the thin red line between moderating and replying as an ordinary forum member he should be released from duty.

    I request that either Arjay's post is removed or the thread is opened again so everyone can reply, not just corrupt moderators.
    Firstly the Thread was shut down by Site Admin, not just a moderator...

    Secondly Arjay is the Assigned moderator to General Dev Topics. He has earned the right to have final say to topics in the forum.. - And reading what he posted. It is 100% to the 'Original' topic...

    Brad closed the thread because the discussion was WAY OFF TOPIC, and started to become a flame war...

    However because moderators are Expected to be above that, they are more than allowed to post in Locked topics, as long as it's 'TOPIC' related..

    To me it looks like your a little peeved by been cut off from having the last word...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.
    Share on Google+

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    To me it looks like your a little peeved by been cut off from having the last word...
    Yes and no.

    In fact I was relieved when the thread was closed. It was never "way off topic" as you say, only increasingly heated and increasingly meaningless. It was good moderation when Brad Jones put an end to it.

    But when Arjay posts in a closed thread without the purpose of moderation he's just an ordinary forum member who misuses his moderator priviliges to put forward personal views unchallenged. That's corrupt behaviour.
    Last edited by nuzzle; September 6th, 2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Share on Google+

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    This thread is getting boring.
    ahoodin
    To keep the plot moving, that's why.
    Share on Google+

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,640

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by ahoodin View Post
    This thread is getting boring.
    Isn't there already a thread for that?

    Sorry, just couldn't resist.

    Viggy
    Share on Google+

  8. #8
    PeejAvery's Avatar
    PeejAvery is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,886

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    [ moved thread ]
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.
    Share on Google+

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    LOL Sorry I guess this thread was going off topic by being boring. Not to be confused with the boring thread.
    ahoodin
    To keep the plot moving, that's why.
    Share on Google+

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Africa
    Posts
    11,101

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Initially I didn't want to get involved, but here goes. I'll probably also get crucified after this.

    nuzzle, I seriously do not see what all the fuss is about.

    Contrary to your beliefs, Arjay did absolutely nothing wrong. He helped the member tmd with his experience. Yes, the thread was closed, but so what? Is it wrong for one forum member ( mod or not ) helping another forum member, when he / she can help? NO. Is it wrong for any forum member ( mod or not ) contributing something useful to a thread that might help another member? NO. This doesn't make his behaviour inapropriate at all.

    Isn't it what CodeGuru is about? We are all here to help and learn from each other.

    Also, any member that really violates the AUP - Moderator or not gets handled the same way. In the past there were mods that forgot this and got banned. So, quoting Animal Farm doesn't work here.

    There are rules to this forum, everyone needs to follow them, it is as simple as that.
    Share on Google+

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,453

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    I find the use of the word corrupt to be a bit extreme. I've seen Arjay's posts on this forum as well as in private technical discussions. "Corrupt" is not a word I'd use. Possibly helpful, insightful, and thoughtful, but not corrupt.

    I have no issue with a moderator posting an on-topic comment even after the thread is closed. If the OP has an issue with the mods comment, they can PM or email me. This is something that rarely happens, and when it does it is to aid the OP or provide moderation information.

    If the OP of the thread had requested it to be reopened, then I'd consider the request seriously and likely open the thread back up with a warning that further negative comment will get it closed and likely get someone banned. You were not the orginal poster.

    You might believe this corrupts the forum; however, I believe it is sarcastic comments made with negative undertones, name calling, and other actions that hurt a forum a lot more. Those are the reasons the thread was closed.

    Brad
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones, CodeGuru.com Site Director
    Developer.com Network Director / EiC

    webmaster@codeguru.com
    (My Latest Book)


    -----------------------------------------------
    Share on Google+

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    I have no issue with a moderator posting an on-topic comment even after the thread is closed.
    Well that settles it, doesn't it, since you're calling the shots.

    I've said what I wanted now so I drop here.
    Last edited by nuzzle; September 17th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Share on Google+

  13. #13
    PeejAvery's Avatar
    PeejAvery is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,886

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Nuzzle, I think that you are blowing this way out of proportion.

    1. This is an online forum...not a govern-ment (CG actually blocks this word? HAHA. Ironic). "Corruption" quite strong for an online presence which has almost no affect on your personal life...unless your basing you life soley on answers in a forum from people you don't know.
    2. Moderators have "extra power" because they have proven themselves useful in volunteering their free time to assist people they don't even know with problems that aren't even their own. And keep the whole forum well organized. They've earned some extra abilities.
    3. And...the thread was closed for being off-topic. Arjay's post was spot on.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.
    Share on Google+

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,453

    Arrow Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    Well that settles it, doesn't it, since you're calling the shots.

    I've said what I wanted now so I drop here.
    I do call the shots, but I take everyone's feedback very seriously. I've gone against my own thoughts to support decisions made by the mods and community when they felt strongly on something.

    If there are others that support your perspective, then they should chime in as well.
    Share on Google+

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: Inappropriate moderator behaviour

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    I do call the shots, but I take everyone's feedback very seriously. I've gone against my own thoughts to support decisions made by the mods and community when they felt strongly on something.

    If there are others that support your perspective, then they should chime in as well.
    That's fine, I'll clarify my position by putting in a reply to PeejAvery.
    Share on Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Mobile Development Center


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

This is a CodeGuru survey question.


Featured


HTML5 Development Center