CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

GetUserNameEx returning 1114

Hey!
    Ive got an app that authanticates itself through active directory. AD calls like LogonUser() work perfectly, but when i call a GetUserNameEx() it returns a 1114 (ERROR_DLL_INIT_FAILED) error. I cannot see any bad event at my pc or dc's EventViewer, and tried to check dll loads with Process Monitor, but no success. Client is Win7, server is 2003. Another guy works in another project of the same visual studio 2008 solution, and it works perfectly for him. Unfortunately i cant port my part to his pc, because its missing core parts and it wont run there.
    Could it have any problem with Secur32.dll? Any ideas? Any help appriciated, thank you.

Re: GetUserNameEx returning 1114

GetUserNameEx returns BOOLEAN (zero if failed, non-zero if succeeded) and not an error code.
    See How to correctly use GetLastError
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Well, of course it seems like if (getusernameex faild) GetLastError(), and thats what returns the 1114, not the mentioned function itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    faild
    i mean failed

ERROR_DLL_INIT_FAILED literally means that some dll has failed to initialize. Typically this happens because of broken dll dependencies, though in your case it might be something more exotic. Try to disable anti-virus software if any and see whether this helps.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    ERROR_DLL_INIT_FAILED literally means that some dll has failed to initialize. Typically this happens because of broken dll dependencies, though in your case it might be something more exotic. Try to disable anti-virus software if any and see whether this helps.
    hey, thx for the answer.
    unfortunately that is not the case. after some testing though, it seems this only happens when i start my app from inside visual studio. when i go to the generated folder and make a shortcut to the exe with the same working directory as the VS startup project, it works. I thought that besides the working dir theres no difference between the two starting mode... now im stuck... Any idea?
    Thx

The "working directory" can be changed in Visual Studio (somewhere in the project settings), as well as the DLL search path.

Viggy

unfortunately that is not the case.
    It seems this is exactly the case of dll dependency as long as the working folder or dll search order is the matter.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Hey. Thx for answers. The problem has been solved by dummy-calling one of those dll functions at the app startup... then it got it right. Well... at least it works