Re: Building exe from existing source

Quote Originally Posted by RebelAngel View Post
    This one comes up a lot:

Code:
    should not include d3dtypes.h when compiling for DX8 or newer interfaces
    What do I do with this one?
    Try this...

How to solve unknown compiler errors.
    Last edited by Arjay; October 12th, 2011 at 06:36 PM.

CUniversalMapClipboard.cpp(614) : warning C4533: initialization of 'v2' is skipped by 'goto CUniversalMapClipboard_unInit'
    My goodness.

The program actually uses "goto"? I hate to see what the rest of the code looks like.

Here is a question for you: What if this compiles, and it doesn't run correctly? How are you going to fix it, given that you were reluctant to change any source code?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; October 12th, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

That D3D warning does not appear to have prevented the build. I don't know D3D enough to suggest what to do about it, but if it compiled I wouldn't worry too much.

That D3D warning does not appear to have prevented the build. I don't know D3D enough to suggest what to do about it, but if it compiled I wouldn't worry too much.
    Understood, it's a warning, so I'll just ignore it for now.

My goodness.

The program actually uses "goto"? I hate to see what the rest of the code looks like.
    Ha well, it consists off some 1800 files over 70 folders, +- 240 MB. It was created by GSC Game World, a Ukrainian Game Developper and a lot off the comment lines are a mixture off Ukrainian/Russian and very very bad english.
    At the time they made this, they had a hit with the Cossacks 1 series and from what I can tell, they were just building the code for Cossacks 2 on top off their old engine and simulteaneously using this for 3 other games ( American COnquest, Alexander and Heroes Of Annihilated empires) which they were developping at the same time. It has references to all these games in this code I'm using now.
    When modifying the game files itself i noticed they have a tendency to do sloppy work and it seems its no different in the source off the engine itself.
    But the games all work and are quite nice ;-)

Here is a question for you: What if this compiles, and it doesn't run correctly? How are you going to fix it, given that you were reluctant to change any source code?
    Good question. Right now I'm still going from the assumption, that the game developpers have created an engine.exe from this source which works and as such it should be possible to recreate that without having to change too much. As a matter fact , in the source files, there is a folder 'bin' which has the engine.exe and .dll's which were created back in 2004/2005 and when using those files in the game itself it actually runs.

So, what I'm trying to say is, I'm taking babysteps here on this road, and when I get to the end off the road and I still havent managed to get it to work, then I will have no choice but to start fixing errors. Hope that makes sense.

Getting closer step by step.
    Today I ran into this one
    Code:
    cl : Command line error D2016 : '/Og' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible.

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Getting closer step by step.
    Today I ran into this one
    Code:
    cl : Command line error D2016 : '/Og' and '/ZI' command-line options are incompatible.
    I wonder, are still banned by Google?
    http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&s...e+incompatible
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    I wonder, are still banned by Google?
    http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&s...e+incompatible
    I already googled it and disabled /ZI in the properties but it still comes up. Hence me asking here.

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

I already googled it and disabled /ZI in the properties but it still comes up. Hence me asking here.
    Perhaps you disabled /ZI not for all files/projects?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12