CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

If statement help

Hey,
    i have a question about if statements. I am trying to write a code for movement of a sprite. I want to have different acceleration for the y direction and x direction. I believe I am very close in getting the kind of motion i need, there is just one problem i am having.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do:

if (currentKeyboardState.IsKeyUp(Keys.A) (but not) (currentKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.D))
    {
    Do.Something
    }

//Basically i need some kind of function to put where the (but not) is. So if the A key is up and the D key is down i don't want the "Do.Something" to run. If anyone could help that would be great.

Re: If statement help

Try this:
    if ((currentKeyboardState.IsKeyUp(Keys.A)) && (!currentKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.D)))
    Developing using:
    .NET3.5 / VS 2010

^this.

using the and (&&) and or(||) operators in a conditional allows you to build in a lot of extra complexity.

Also, the bang(!) is the symbol for not. Since the assumption for the IsKeyDown method is that it returns a bool, the bang can be attached to the object method. In other cases you'll need to use it as part of an evaluation, like:
    Code:
    if(someVariable != null)
        DoStuff();
    HTH
    Code:
    if (Issue.Resolved)
    {
         ThreadTools.Click();
         MarkThreadResolved();
    }

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Auricman View Post
    Try this:
    if ((currentKeyboardState.IsKeyUp(Keys.A)) && (!currentKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.D)))
    Just to help you understand the syntax, the above is the same as:

Code:
    if (currentKeyboardState.IsKeyUp(Keys.A) == true && currentKeyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.D) == false)
    It's not a bug, it's a feature!