dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Taking on my 1st "real" .NET Application and need some guidance from Sharepoint Gurus

Question Taking on my 1st "real" .NET Application and need some guidance from Sharepoint Gurus

Hello CodeGuru Forums,

This is my first post here and this place is extremely interesting.

To give some background about myself, I was always a predominantly open-source dev, with my favorite language being PHP. I am currently a student at Ga Tech and am trying to broaden my skillset to get a job. Unfortunately the reality (At least in my metro) is that a lot of "open-sourcy" webdevs find a harder time getting job placement, even with great experience and proven learning curves, with little MS experience. Also, technologies like PHP are aging. I have a good understanding of Visual Basic and have general programming experience to where syntax and issues along those lines aren't giant hurdles.
    I want to add a useful skill to help me become a more valuable programmer, and I'm fairly set on tackling .NET and the like focusing on general automation and office/productivity apps. I have tons of resources available to me such as time and books on campus, but the way I learn best is by jumping in the deep end for a while before I formally train. I know there are tons of rookie, intermediate, and veteran devs on here and it would be tremendously helpful if anyone can nudge me into the right direction.
    My proposed "deep end" project to get my feet wet will be dealing with sharepoint and microsoft office (because almost every company I can think of uses these).
    What would be a good technology for me to research if I wanted to automate tasks such as these:
    • A sharepoint page (or web-part?) that will have a HTML-like form that stores input to a access DB. (I can do this with my eyes closed in PHP/SQL, but haven't really had the chance on MS code)
      Another sharepoint page that queries the access database and displays the values.
    • A VBA or similar app that will pull values from a MS Access database and create an outlook appointment automatically (Doing research, I found that MS Exchange Server probably handles integrations with outlook)
    • In the "real world", why do companies use Access? I just feel that SQL is superior in every way, but something about it I can't readily put my finger on is creating jobs.
    • Integrations between Microsoft applications (Like Sharepoint Calendars and Outlook Calendars, via a central access database that stores all values)
    • I know it is possible, but is it commonly practiced to use a SQL back end on a microsoft enterprise apps suite? Why?
    • Also, the main question is what is the best core competency I can train to do these types of "integrations"- not sure if that is the right word, there.

Of course, I don't want to reach out for advice/help without showing that I put in some effort of my own, so here are some things that I found:

The last one being a recurring trend while I'm doing research. Many mentions of Microsoft Exchange Web Services, which reportedly "simplifies" the alien process.
    Can anyone explain CDOEX vs. WebDAV?
    And last but not least THANK YOU for looking at this giant wall of text that I wrote. If you have any advice that would help point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. Also, if you have any sample code or similar projects that you have undertaken/seen online, please link me, reading through that would help my understanding a good bit.
    Take care!
    Last edited by GremlinSA; October 29th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Re: Taking on my 1st "real" .NET Application and need some guidance from Sharepoint G

Thanks for your time, also I can not seem to find a private message button. I wanted to contact GremlinSA, I'm curious why my post was edited so I don't make the same mistake next time.

Re: Taking on my 1st "real" .NET Application and need some guidance from Sharepoint G

Hi,

Webdav is a technology for publishing and editing documents over the web. Refer http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

CDOEX is a com component to manage Exchange sevices and create messaging applications. Refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...exchg.65).aspx

EWS has replaced both of them. Refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...exchg.80).aspx

Also, it seems you need to program office components as well. Please google Visual Studio Tools for office or VSTO.
    Hope this helps. If it does, then rate it.
    ----
    Rohit

Quote Originally Posted by eightthree View Post
    Thanks for your time, also I can not seem to find a private message button. I wanted to contact GremlinSA, I'm curious why my post was edited so I don't make the same mistake next time.
    Your PM's are disabled.. Goto your profile 'User CP' above and switch it on ...

As for the Edit of your post, I fixed the missing list closing tag.. nothing else..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    Your PM's are disabled.. Goto your profile 'User CP' above and switch it on ...

As for the Edit of your post, I fixed the missing list closing tag.. nothing else..
    Just wanted to confirm, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohit Kukreti View Post
    Hi,

Webdav is a technology for publishing and editing documents over the web. Refer http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

CDOEX is a com component to manage Exchange sevices and create messaging applications. Refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...exchg.65).aspx

EWS has replaced both of them. Refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...exchg.80).aspx

Also, it seems you need to program office components as well. Please google Visual Studio Tools for office or VSTO.
    Thank you!

I also found this interesting site, which is outdated for the most part, but very interesting and useful for learning.

http://www.helenfeddema.com/CodeSamples.htm <<

I wonder if anything exists like this for 2007 or 2010 office products

Looking up EWS, it appears that I would have to have an existing EWS network/enterprise setup to learn/run/test code, I do not have access to that, is there a "virtual" way of doing this? Or a learning environment from Microsoft?
    Last edited by eightthree; November 3rd, 2011 at 09:21 AM.