CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Search engine and Shopping Cart?

I am doing a project working with a live client as a consulting team, where as my team and I are making recommendations to improve his business. We would like to improve his website but are confused on some of the logistics behind what we wish to do, hope you can help!

I am unaware of what programing language the site was created in, but if needed I may be able to find that out if its restricting possibilities. Free or purchasing are both possibilities. In addition, he has a employee that said they are able to make almost any change we can think of (but simple and easy is always better).

1.) We wanted to improve the navigation on his website by recommending him to add a search engine that can search through the website making navigation more effective. What are our options here?

2.) Currently to order a product from his website one must call into the store to place an order. We want to add an Online Shopping cart so that orders can be placed directly online. What are our options here?

Re: Search engine and Shopping Cart?

Quote Originally Posted by BroDragon View Post
    1.) We wanted to improve the navigation on his website by recommending him to add a search engine that can search through the website making navigation more effective. What are our options here?
    Firstly it would really help if we knew what CMS the site runs on, and if it's a custom then the language.... but for fast simple site search you can always add a customised Google site search to the site.. How ever results are dependant on google indexing the relevant pages, and new pages could take time to get into the search...

Some CMS's have built in search, and just need you to enable them.. others may require a Shhh load of work to implement...

Quote Originally Posted by BroDragon View Post
    2.) Currently to order a product from his website one must call into the store to place an order. We want to add an Online Shopping cart so that orders can be placed directly online. What are our options here?
    There are several modules you can purchase or get for free that can handle this .. Again, NEED to know the CMS or language...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Re: Search engine and Shopping Cart?

Thanks for the response GremlinSA, I was able to find out the programming language is in php and the CMS is zencart, hope that helps.