CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Using <div> [as buttons] (Or|And) [ ASP buttons with runat server]

Hello,

I am working with ASP and I would like to get different look for HTML elements like gmail does.

For example, the CheckBox element, Instead of using a regular checkbox like this:
    PHP Code:
    <asp:CheckBox ID="CheckBox1" runat="server" /> 
    They use:
    PHP Code:
                    <div id="Div1"  class="oZ-jc T-Jo J-J5-Ji" tabindex="0" aria-checked="false" role="checkbox">                
                        <
    div class="T-Jo-auh">                    
                        </
    div>
                    </
    div
    I’m trying to get this google trick to work, he uses <divs> as elements to make them have the appearance they want and somehow using code to switch CheckState (True|False) . So here my problem comes, I have tried to add ASP to the <div> with Runat server as follows:
    PHP Code:
                    <div id="Concedido"   class="oZ-jc T-Jo J-J5-Ji T-Jo-Jp"  tabindex="0" aria-checked="true"    dir="ltr" aria-labelledby=":nt" role="checkbox" runat="server">
                        <
    div class="T-Jo-auh">
                        </
    div>
                    </
    div
    And then try to access the element from (.vb) but there was not event available for my improvised <div> Checkbox, so the next I have tried is to add a CheckBox event handler:
    PHP Code:
        Protected Sub Concedido_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As ObjectByVal e As System.EventArgsHandles Permiso.CheckedChanged

End Sub 
    Failed too because I got error “BC30590: No se puede encontrar el evento 'CheckedChanged'.” (In English would mean that Can not find the event), and Ancle google told me that of course <div> is not an ASP element so that’s why I only get errors trying to do this.

So my question is: &#191;How can we get a div acting like a check button or any other ASP element?

Thanks a million for the answers.

Let the good look be with all.

PS: I am going to try it with JavaScript but it would be awesome if I could with vb.net.
    Last edited by trastrestris; December 11th, 2011 at 03:33 AM.

Re: Using <div> [as buttons] (Or|And) [ ASP buttons with runat server]

I have been over 4 hours by now developing and also searching google for a way to create a visual switch effect like gmail does. I have come to discover than this can only be done in javascript.

I think I am almost getting it. Should I answer the JS code here? or open a new thread once I get the solution.
    In first option (answering here) would give the thread as solved but this is ASP code and not JavaScript.
    In second option (Opening new JS thread), this post would last without answer.

There is a third option, (Using Second option) and linking it from here.

What should I do?

[SOLVED!] Re: Using <div> [as buttons] (Or|And) [ ASP buttons with runat server]

So I finally solved the temporal problem, it only took me like 6 hours !. At the end is the explanation.

Here is the HTML
    PHP Code:
                    <div id="BUENA_SUERTE"   class="oZ-jc T-Jo J-J5-Ji T-Jo-Jp"  tabindex="0" aria-checked="true"    dir="ltr" aria-labelledby=":nt" role="checkbox" runat="server" onclick="NombreFuncion();">
                        <%--
    InnertHTML for BUENA_SUERTE--%><div class="T-Jo-auh"></div> <%--End of InnertHTML--%>
                    </
    div>

<
    asp:HiddenField ID="BUENA_SUERTE_HIDDEN" runat="server" />

<
    asp:Button ID="SuerteBoton" runat="server" Text="Button" /> 
    Here is the JavaScript
    PHP Code:
    function NombreFuncion()
    {    
        var 
    CTL='ctl00_';    //Prefijo del elemento que buscamos

var CheckStatus=document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE').getAttribute('aria-checked');    
        var 
    CheckEnabled='<div class="T-Jo-auh"></div>'//Inserta una imagen desde CSS con <div>

if (CheckStatus=='true')
        {

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE').setAttribute("aria-checked","false");

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE').setAttribute("class","oZ-jc T-Jo J-J5-Ji");

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE').innerHTML='';      

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE_HIDDEN').value='false';
        }
        else
        {

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE').setAttribute("aria-checked","true");

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE').setAttribute("class","oZ-jc T-Jo J-J5-Ji T-Jo-Jp");

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE').innerHTML=CheckEnabled;

document.getElementById(CTL 'BUENA_SUERTE_HIDDEN').value='true';
        } 

Here is the VB (Very Important to get the Checked and Unchecked values), otherwise, information from <div> will be lost in the postback event.
    PHP Code:
        Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As ObjectByVal e As System.EventArgsHandles Me.Load
            Dim MensajeError 
    As String

Try
                If 
    Not Page.IsPostBack Then 'Primera vez que se carga la pagina
                    '
    Whatever you need to do
                Else

Me.BUENA_SUERTE.Attributes.Item("aria-checked") = Me.BUENA_SUERTE_HIDDEN.Value

If Me.BUENA_SUERTE_HIDDEN.Value "true" Then
                        Me
    .BUENA_SUERTE.InnerHtml "<div class=""T-Jo-auh""></div>"

Me.BUENA_SUERTE.Attributes.Item("class") = "oZ-jc T-Jo J-J5-Ji T-Jo-Jp"

Else

Me.BUENA_SUERTE.InnerHtml ""

Me.BUENA_SUERTE.Attributes.Item("class") = "oZ-jc T-Jo J-J5-Ji"

End If

End If
            Catch 
    ex As Exception
                MensajeError 
    MensajeError "<br>" "miError1: " ex.Message
                Response
    .Write(MensajeError)

End Try

End Sub 
    Here is the (How to access from VB)
    PHP Code:
        Protected Sub SuerteBoton_Click(ByVal sender As ObjectByVal e As System.EventArgsHandles SuerteBoton.Click
            MsgBox
    (Me.BUENA_SUERTE_HIDDEN.Value)

End Sub 

So basically what it does is what I posted in first place, this is how it works:

1. In HTML we have two elements (1 of them is our Simulated Checkbox made of <div>), (The other is a Hidden Buton used as interface of comunication between client side (javaScript) and Server (vb), this way we wont loose the information (Checked|not checked) after page postback.

2. On event Click for element BUENA_SUERTE, JavaScript Switches from (True|False) to (False|True) and also fills the Hidden button. I have added the innerHTML in a variable so it's easier to understand, this little code in the innerHTML is really a picture simulating the Checked value.

3. Now we can access from VB the hidden field and do what ever we want like if it were a regular ASP CheckButton.

(Very Important note for Step 3: If there is a postback, check boxes will need to restored manually in the Load or another event that handles it. The code should be something like the one above in step 3.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards and Let the Good luck be with all of you. (Que la buena suerte os acompaƱe a todos)

Saludos!.