dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error Accessing Registry

Error Accessing Registry

Hello friends,

has anyone of you ever had this weird error:
    When I open the IDE and go Project->References...
    I get an errorbox saying "Error accessing registry" (or something in the line of this, because my OS here is German)

I tried some registry cleaners but no result. Now I'm stuck.

What is it VB6 wants to read from the registry? Perhaps I can fix when I know where to look...

DataMiser is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Error Accessing Registry

I'm not sure what all it would be reading from the registry. I think the list of recent files/projects is stored in the registry and would be read at start up also possibly any addins that are configured as well as possibly the editor settings.

Not sure where these items above are located in the registry but there are entries for OCXs, Help files and other stuff located at this key
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0]
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

As I was saying, the error pops up when I try to add a reference to a project.
    I go Project->References amd the error comes up.
    I can go Project->Components no problem. Ther ocx are all listed up.
    Recent programs and other settings are read without problems.

Perhaps it may be a componet that once existed on your system that has been Unregistered imporperly or not at all. I do not trust Registry cleaners; in my experience they did more harm than good.

As a last resort ( to make sure VB is not the culprit ), have you tried re - installing VB 6?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my Articles
    Hannes

Just an hour ago I reinstalled VB6, this time the english version.
    Previously I gad the german VS6 on.

I have also VS2005 express on that machine and tried it, but it opened the references no problem.
    The exact english message is: "Error accessing the system registry"
    Any idea?

Here's a thread that might help: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=545433
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Does this error occur if you try it in a new project? I have saw that error appear on my system when I loaded an existing project that had been build on a different machine.

I have this problem with a new project as well as with any existing one.
    I'm sure the problem is system related, because all projects access the references perfectly at my computer at home. It is only my office system making that fuzz.

Thanks for the link David. I tried everything proposed there, but nothing helped.
    Although in the last post of this thread explained a method to detect a potential erronuous registry entry. I shall get me this process monitor and try to locate the troublesome entry as described.

Right. I used procmon to survey VB6.exe when going to Project->References.
    Vb6 makes about 20000! read accesses to the registry. Many of them result in NAME NOT FOUND
    I examined closer and found that all of the missing names were from
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Typelib
    When using regedit to examine the registry I found the complete key missing!

I'm not sure, but there was a memory error 2 weeks or so ago and I had to exchange SDRAM, but when the error occured, before I replaced the RAMs, windows was all the time complaining and more than once said it had to restore parts of the registry from a backup - successfully.
    I begin to doubt that this was successful and possibly the complete typelib branch was destroyed.

That looks like I'd have to reinstall the complete system...
    Except if I can restore the typelib branch somehow from an older backup.

Comes to my mind:
    Do we not have theses system restore points, which keep copies of the registry and which I never in my life ever had to use and therefore have no idea how to access the registry copies of these points.
    I don't necessarily need a complete restore, but would only pick that missing branch.
    Anybody an idea of how to do that?

Ok, it is not a direvt VB6 question, but would help me getting my VB6 back to work.

Ok, I found out about using the rstrui.exe utility to go back to a previous system, but it won't somehow let me to a date which was before the memory crash.
    Think it's reinstallation time.

You can import or export the registry as a whole, or parts. Maybe the whole key can be merged, as a last resort before wiping?
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

The system restore is pretty much useless unless you create restore points from time to time. The system will do it automaticly on a few occasions like a major service release is installed or something of that nature but for the most part you need to create a few yourself in order to really be able to use it later.

If you have it installed and working on another system with the same os and same basic software installed you may try exporting the key group that is missing and then import it into the failing system before going through the reinstall proccess.

I have not explicitly made an export of the registry, David. So I wouldn't know from where to take import.
    Except, if your idea, DataMiser, would work. Although both systems are not exactly the same, I could try to transport the missing branches.

In fact I have quite a number of points to go back to. My system seems to make them every second day, plus when I install something or when updates are coming in.
    I have plenty restore points before November 10, but whenever I select one of these points, the restore would not turn out successful. So I'm stuck right at November 14, where the registry is already damaged.

I'm fearing reinstall, I have to admit. It takes always so long until you get everything back like you want it. And after a while you find this and that is still missing, and damnit, where did I get that from...

I feel your pain, been there a few times myself.
    You should be able to export the entire typelib branch in one shot then try to import it to the other system. I would say there is a fair chance it may work, If reinstall is the only other option then it can't hurt to try, may get lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast