CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

short path algorithm

Hello, I currently have a program that detects the shortest path by using breath first search. Currently my program reads a file like this.

A H
    A D
    A J
    J D
    J K
    J E
    F H
    F D
    F B
    K B
    B I
    G I
    G K
    C E
    K I
    E K

This works just fine because every road is connected at some point. So if I type A to I it would give me A J K I.

My problem is that my program has to read in a bigger road file, but NOT all the roads connect. for example:
    170 157
    170 171
    172 173
    171 174

road 172 and 173 does not connect to any other roads

Since am using breath-first search am assigning every node a NODE LEVEL starting with 0 till the end of the road file. These get assigned via a queue that I implement thinking that all the roads are connected. By default all nodes have level -1 because they have not been visited.

This code will create the node level.

Code:
    queque.push_back(t[0]);  //start my queue at the beginning of the file.

while(queque.empty()!= true)
    {

for(int i = 0; i< queque[0]->next.size(); i++)
    	{
    		if(queque[0]->next[i]->node_level == -1)
    		{

queque[0]->next[i]->node_level = (queque[0]->node_level) + 1;

queque.push_back(queque[0]->next[i]);

}
    	}

queque.erase(queque.begin()+0);

}
    I know the problem am having is that I can't assigned a node level because they don't get added to the queue. I was just wondering if you guys have any ideas of how to work around this problem. I don't need coding just some ideas.

Re: short path algorithm

you said you have assumed all roads are connected. Simply, you have to remove that assumption and follow through the consequences.

In general, showing only a snippet is not very helpful, escpecially when you have not shown how you have parsed the file into queque / t / next.

Since your problem is that some things are not added to the queue, I would look at the code that adds things to the queue! no point in onyl showing us how you use the queue, when the problem has already happened!
    Last edited by Amleto; December 17th, 2011 at 07:15 AM.

Re: short path algorithm

Quote Originally Posted by vladic256 View Post
    Since am using breath-first search am assigning every node a NODE LEVEL starting with 0 till the end of the road file. These get assigned via a queue that I implement thinking that all the roads are connected.
    Forget about programming and figure out how you wold do this on paper.

One possible fix is to start to build a separate graph if you detect that the road is not connected. Basically, your data set contains more than one graph -- your job is to build these graphs as separate entities instead of trying to stick everything in one graph.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie