CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question C# networking for absolute beginner

I am very familiar with C# and have been tinkering with XNA to increase my knowledge as well as become familiar with programming techniques with an emphasis on game development.

One thing I feel as though I should learn is: networking. I believe one may also refer to this as "socket programming". My end goal would be to have obtained the knowledge of how to transmit data that could even be adequate for a first person shooter. However, I would be happy with just knowing how to transfer data such as a string from computer to computer (like make a super simple chat program).

I am an ABSOLUTE beginner with this and have only been able to find complicated tutorials/references that are for those who have at least basic knowledge of socket programming (and I do not).

Please help me with any information or resources you may know of.

PS. I have heard of lidgren, but I cannot find anything for the absolute beginner on this. If there are any other libraries out there that I could use AS A BEGINNER, please let me know

Re: C# networking for absolute beginner

There are samples included with your documentation. There is a sample chat program here at code guru written in vb and I think one in vb.net. Should be easy to find samples on the net via google.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

My only problem is I need very detailed samples. I want to know why I'm writing code instead of just writing it and hoping it works.

Have you looked at the samples? Have you did a search? Have you tried to write any code for this?
    These are your first steps.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Yeah I have been researching this for at least four or five hours. I am understanding most of the principles of socket programming. But I can't find any samples that go into depth on the syntax

Well commented examples: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kb5kfec7.aspx

(See the links to syncronous/asynchronous client/server (4 possible combinations) in the bar on the right).

Hope that helps!
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.