CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

C++ .NET framework for Windows Forms (GUI)

Hello everybody!

I am Tech2012, originally known as Tech2011 across the inner-webs.
    Right off the top, I apologize if I have misplaced this thread under the wrong forum! If necessary, move it to the most appropriate forum.

I am working on a new application for Windows and I am ready to develop the GUI for it. I understand that I could use Nokia's awful Qt to devlop a GUI, and so far, I have not been impressed. I could learn the Win32 API, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like more and more modern Windows applications use the .NET Framework for developing Windows Forms (or GUI applications). I'm not sure if my observation is entirely accurate, so correct me as necessary, but I think I should probably go about learning the .NET framework. If anyone has any other suggestion or has reasons for me to go another route other than .NET, please let me know.
    I look forward to more great conversations in these forums!
    Thanks in advance for help!
    Tech2012

Re: C++ .NET framework for Windows Forms (GUI)

why is qt awful? I think it's pretty good!

If you want to code in c++ (why else are you posting in this forum), then I think doing the gui in .net is more trouble than it's worth.

I understand that I could use Nokia's awful Qt to devlop a GUI, and so far, I have not been impressed.
    That only means that you are using it wrong. QT is awesome.

Qt is not that bad.
    An alternative is WxWidgets.
    If you're looking for something more lightweight, FLTK is the way to go.
    The new way to have native GUI in Windows 8 is to use C++/CX: http://www.blogmfc.com/n2011/09/27/h...tro-style-app/
    I think all of the above is simpler and recommended to use with C++ over writing a separate GUI in .NET.