CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Java Swing window options (JFrames)

Hey guys,

I'm a C# dev who's switching to Java.

Is there a way to override the JFrame.type functionality to provide it with more aesthetically pleasing native windows? I'm using the NetBeans IDE and the only four types I see are "Normal","Utility", "Popup", and "null". Normal and Popup seem to be identical with a thick standard border and Utility looks like a toolbox from Windows 95!

I've invested a lot of time into learning WPF and am throwing up the bird due to the treason Windows 8 is providing to our dev community.

Hello... Java Swing.

Re: Java Swing window options (JFrames)

The way Swing components look and feel ie react to user input (eg mouse, keyboard etc) is down to the selected Look and Feel. Read this tutorial for information on setting one.

Google for "Java Look & Feel" for more information on setting, creating, modifying Look and Feels and also to find other ones that are available.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code

Re: Java Swing window options (JFrames)

Quote Originally Posted by keang View Post
    The way Swing components look and feel ie react to user input (eg mouse, keyboard etc) is down to the selected Look and Feel. Read this tutorial for information on setting one.

Google for "Java Look & Feel" for more information on setting, creating, modifying Look and Feels and also to find other ones that are available.
    Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the pointer.