CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Question Repainting problem when my app is launched from the desktop

One of my beta testers simply put my app (stand-alone .exe) on the desktop and launched it from there. I know users shouldn't do that, but eventually this is what beta testers are for, isn't it? Most developers probably have experienced that users simply do things like that. The tester reported occasional repainting problems, resulting in the app's main window either decaying to a plain white rectangle or disappearing entirely, while the task bar button remains. In case that matters: He's using Win7 x64 and (he found that worth mentioning) the system is set up as a TeamViewer server. The app in question is a 32-bit .NET 4 Windows Forms app.

I tried to reproduce the problem on my XP PS3 (without TeamViewer), but autostarting the app from the desktop over weeks didn't reveal any observable problems. Also, none of the other beta testers using Win7 reported any problems of that kind.

For now I tried to mitigate the problem by having my app detect that it has been launched from the desktop and issue a warning message box in that case. I'm not quite satisfied with that "solution", though.

Does anyone know what I may have my app to look for (in addition to the mere fact that it's been launched from the desktop) in order to diagnose the problem? I'm quite uncertain into which direction to even look. Or is this a known problem resulting in a plain "simply don't do that"?
    Last edited by Eri523; December 19th, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.