Illegal characters
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Illegal characters

Illegal characters

I have a text file that contains settings, such as the output file location. Then I call the file in my program...

File.AppendAllText(@PIoutput, "5," + time.Year + "," + time.DayOfYear + "," + time.ToString("HHmm").TrimStar('0') + "," + time.Second);

When the program runs, I get the error "Illegal characters in path."

Re: Illegal characters

You don't need to use the string literal operator (@) on a variable. Remove it and see if that works. Usually you would see it's use only when you are inputting a new string that you don't want escaped e.g. string blah = @"this\string\shouldn't\be\escaped";

Failing that, what is the value of PIoutput? Certain characters are not allowed in file paths such as any of:

: ? * " < > |
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

I took the "@" out and it still did not work. My output file is defined in the text file as.... string.Format("{0}{1}Metdata_MT-{2:yyyy-MM-dd}.txt", Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments), Path.DirectorySeparatorChar, DateTime.Now)

Per what you said, I am assuming this is what is causing the error. lol. But how do I set the output file to this format?

Hrm. I see nothing obviously wrong with that. What value does PIoutput have in the debugger?
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Ok in my text file, I put the file location. In my program, I called it with

"output=line + string.Format("{0}{1}Metdata_MT-{2:yyyy-MM-dd}.txt");

I get the error message FormatException was unhandled. Whats wrong here?

It's because you use string.Format with {#}'s in the string and then do not provide them as arguments.

Go back to your original example and set

Code:
    string PIOutput = string.Format("{0}{1}Metdata_MT-{2:yyyy-MM-dd}.txt", Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments), Path.DirectorySeparatorChar, DateTime.Now)
    Then use the debugger to see the value assigned to PIOutput and post it here (or examine it and figure out why it's an invalid path).
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    --