CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

list: insert empty element

Hi,

i define a custom struct, which contains other custom structs.
    Then i define a stdc++ list of this struct.

I now want to insert a totally empty instance of my custom struct into the list.

This is what i do:

[code]
    lists<custstruct> mylist;
    custstruct x;
    ZeroMemory(&x, sizeof(custstruct ));
    mylist.push_back(x);
    [\code]

This works.

However, it does require me to have an empty struct instance available at all times.
    Surely, there is an easier way of inserting an empty element?

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: list: insert empty element

ZeroMemory() is not, in general, an appropriate means of "emptying" an object. For some objects it will work; for others, like std::string, it could cause a crash later.

Instead, define your type's default constructor to set it to whatever state you'd like an "empty" object to have. Then, you can simply default-construct objects without worrying about how they're initialized:

Code:
    lists<custstruct> mylist;
    mylist.push_back(custstruct());

Once you have done what Lindley suggests, you can also add the
    element at the time of construction.

Code:
    list<custstruct> mylist(1);

BTW, if custstruct is a POD then both Lindley's and Philip's code will work without a default constructor being defined, because both push_back(custstruct()) and the size_t list constructor value-initialize the new custstruct instance, effectively zeroing it.

thanks!

i guess i wasnt fully aware of structs having constructors...

And you guys are of course totally right about ZeroMemory()-clearing an object, although it works in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by felix1432 View Post
    thanks!

i guess i wasnt fully aware of structs having constructors...
    There is no difference between a struct and a class in C++, except that

1) the members default to public in a struct, and private in a class.

2) When deriving from a struct, by default the derivation is public, for a class, the derivation is private.
    And you guys are of course totally right about ZeroMemory()-clearing an object,
    ZeroMemory() knows nothing about objects, since ZeroMemory() is a 'C'-based API function. ZeroMemory only knows about an address, and the number of bytes starting at the address to set to 0. So if your object contains a virtual function, you will be wiping out the v-table, causing your program to crash (assuming you're using a compiler that implements virtual functions using a v-table, and most do). That is not just a mere "clearing an object" -- that is making an object unusable.
    although it works in this case.
    Does it work because your program still runs, or works because your struct is POD? If it's the former, then that is no proof that what you are doing is working. A running program can have hidden bugs. If it's the latter (the struct is a POD struct), then ZeroMemory() will work.

However, as soon as you introduce anything to that struct that would then make it non-POD, (a member that is non-POD, a user-defined copy constructor, etc.), then that ZeroMemory() instantly becomes a bug. You would then need to go through your source code and change all of those ZeroMemory() calls to proper calls to initialize the object. The compiler does not give you a warning or an error when you make this mistake.

This is why when starting a new program using structs and types that can change during the lifetime of development, you should refrain from using 'C'-based functions to manipulate that struct/class. The struct may start out as POD, then you write a mountain of code with many calls to memset(), or memcpy(), or ZeroMemory(), or whatever C function, and then you decide to introduce a std::string to that struct. Then boom, your program has bugs all over when you run it (and again, the compiler will not tell you about this -- you find out at the worst time, and that is when your program fails in random parts of the application).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

, although it works in this case.
    I have real example of this causing a bug.

One developer we had in my last job cleared a POD struct using 'memclr' in his code. It all worked fine until someone else added a std::string. It took some time to trace the weird bug back to the 'memclr' and erradicate it from the code.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

You are, ofcourse, right and it seems i`ve been overusing ZeroMemory() in the past.
    I am re-working and updating some old code to use std:: classes, which then doesnt allow me to use ZM anymore.
    But how would you zero-inizialize a class/struct with 25+ data members?

Only solution there is imo:

a1 = 0;
    a2 = 0;
    a25 = 0;

which is quiet annoying to implement and maintain.

There is no better way, i assume?

If the struct is a POD type, you can zero-initialize it like this
    Code:
    struct A
    {
        int a1;
        // ...
        float a25;
    };

int main()
    {
        A a = { 0 };
    }
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

There is no better way, i assume?
    If the struct is non-POD, then write a constructor, and you only need to do it once.
    Code:
    #include <string>

struct foo
    {
       int v1;
       int v2;
       double v3;
       long v4;
       std::string x;
       foo() : v1(0), v2(0), v3(0.0), v4(0) { }
    };

int main()