CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: IDE for C++

IDE for C++

I need to maintain and develop largely C++ software to support a technical solution for multi user application testing. I want to use Ubuntu as the development platform and distribute my developed s/ware on all UNIX type and Windows systems.

The UI is fairly simple with menu options and displaying graphical results but the internal code is by far the main aspect. It needs to be tuned for performance and after 20 years of C development is extensive.

Can anyone suggest a suitable IDE to meet the need? Many tx for any input.

Re: IDE for C++

Something like QT ?

Skizmo tx. Had a look but it seems as much into telephone interfaces and QML as C++ development. But perhaps that's just first appearances.

I wondered if there are any that have specific C++ leanings that aid large code block development and maintenance.

Had a look but it seems as much into telephone interfaces and QML as C++ development
    It is a C++ environment, but these days it also supports phone and QML interfacing. I use it on a daily base without using the phone and QML stuff. It also support multiple version systems so you can maintain your code in blocks and with multiple programmers at the same time.

Tx Skizmo. On your recommendation I'll give it a serious workout. We're looking at just two developers but even so good multi-version control and bi-access will be a must.

There certainly seems to be a lot of recent activity relating to Qt on the web so I assume it is still growing in usage. Hopefully it will work out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelhoath View Post
    There certainly seems to be a lot of recent activity relating to Qt on the web so I assume it is still growing in usage. Hopefully it will work out for us.
    Qt is not an IDE, it's a platform independent application framework (with emphasis on the GUI).

There is an IDE called Qt Creator though, but it makes most sense to use it if you're going to develop Qt based applications.
    Last edited by nuzzle; January 19th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.

You might also want to look at Code::Blocks (which is a C++ IDE), NetBeans and Eclipse (both of which are multi-language IDEs.
    "Effective teaching is the essence of leadership..."

"There is no substitute for a carefully thought-out design."

If you have found this post to be useful, please Rate it.

I vote for Code::Blocks. Qt Creator is good mostly for Qt development, and Eclipse very slow (written in Java!) and complicated. However, if you want to get both UI framework and general C++ IDE, Qt may be a good choice.

I prefer code::Blocks to Eclipse too.

As for GUI development, a plugin for wxWidgets is integrated into Code::Blocks. I've never had any problems with wxWidgets.

Quick update

When I loaded all of the Qt stuff and did a few examples it seemed fine. However having run it on Windows7 I am getting issues with flie permissions and directories.

e'g' "cannot open output file debug/example1.exe permission denied" yet all I'm doing is build-run-change-build ........

I've also had debug directories deleted??????

I'll switch to Linux but if I see issues there then I guess CodeBlocks and wxWidgets will be next.

Cheers for all the suggestions.

Just a thought: I loaded Qt on Windows and it offered a project type of "Plain C++" when I entered the 'New Project' dialog.

I load on Linux (Ubuntu) and that option is missing.

seems odd!

Are you sure you loaded the same versions? Cannonical often uses a slightly older version that they have vetted.

I use Code::Blocks when I'm not on my Mac. If you are on OSX, XCode is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mlgoff View Post
    Are you sure you loaded the same versions? Cannonical often uses a slightly older version that they have vetted.
    Tx mlgoff that was it although why any release would not include a basic C++ program is beyond me.

Now both are 2.4.0

Hopefully Qt will prove a little more stable under Linux.

Cheers