Gabor filter in c
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Gabor filter in c

Gabor filter in c

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to apply gabor filter to a fingerprint for fingerprint enhancement using c.
    My image size is 280x340.Gabor filter equation is :

F(x,y) = exp(-0.5*[x^2/sigma_x^2 + y^2/sigma_y^2]) * cos(2*PI*f*x);

I am able to execute this equation.But my problem is i am calculating the equation for 280x340 times and it is taking time(4 sec 2.93GHz 3GB ram).

Can any one told me how to reduce the executation time ?
    What I know exp function is taking time. So is there any equivalent of exp which will take less time to execute ?

tanks in advance.

bibhu.

Re: Gabor filter in c

Quote Originally Posted by Bibhukalyana View Post
    Can any one told me how to reduce the executation time ?
    Not without seeing your code, of course.
    What I know exp function is taking time. So is there any equivalent of exp which will take less time to execute ?
    You could try using a lookup table if you don't mind loosing some precision and the input values are within a reasonably small range.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Arrow Re: Gabor filter in c

Thanks D_Drmmr,

I am sorry for code.
    Here is my code.The orient array contain orientation(theta) of fingerprint.

Code:
    int Gabor_filter(unsigned char **ImageData, int width, int height, int **orient,unsigned char **OPData)
    {
        int i,j,m,n,u,v,wx = 11,wy = 11;
        double G_Filter ;
        double sigma_x,sigma_y,x_p,y_p,f,x,y;
        double sum =0;
        double cos_val[8],sin_val[8];

cos_val[0] = 1;cos_val[1] = 0.923879;cos_val[2] = 0.707106;cos_val[3] = 0.382683;
        cos_val[4] = 0;cos_val[5] = -0.382683;cos_val[6] = -0.707106;cos_val[7] = -0.923879;

sin_val[0] = 0;sin_val[1] = 0.382683;sin_val[2] = 0.707106;sin_val[3] = 0.923879;
        sin_val[4] = 1;sin_val[5] = 0.923879;sin_val[6] = 0.707106;sin_val[7] = 0.382683;

for(i = wy/2; i < height - wy/2; i++)
        {
            for(j = wx/2; j < width - wx/2; j++)
            {

sigma_x = 0.04;
                sigma_y = 0.04;
                f = 0.01;
    			sum = 0;
                for(u = 0; u < wy; u++)
                {
                    for(v = 0; v < wx; v++)
                    {
                        x = x_p = v*fabs(cos_val[orient[i][j]]) + u*fabs(sin_val[orient[i][j]]);
                        y = y_p = -v*fabs(sin_val[orient[i][j]]) + u*fabs(cos_val[orient[i][j]]);
                        x_p = x_p*x_p;
                        y_p = y_p*y_p;

G_Filter = exp(-0.5*((x_p/sigma_x) + (y_p/sigma_y)))*cos(2*PI*f*x);
                        sum += G_Filter * (double)ImageData[i-wy/2+u][j-wx/2+v];
                    }
                }
                OPData[i][j] = sum;
            }
        }
        return 0;
    }

"You could try using a lookup table ......"

Please explain me in details.

bibhu.

Thanks D_Drmmr,

I am sorry for code.
    Here is my code.The orient array contain orientation(theta) of fingerprint.
    You can make your code a lot more readable by:
    1. Being consistent in the use of spaces around operators. It's normal to always put a space between a binary operator and its operands.
    2. Placing assignments where they belong. The value of sigma_x is independent of i and j, so you should place it outside the loop. Also, you should make it a const variable if possible.

Code:
        for(i = wy/2; i < height - wy/2; i++)
        {
            for(j = wx/2; j < width - wx/2; j++)
            {
                sigma_x = 0.04;
                sigma_y = 0.04;
                f = 0.01;
    			sum = 0;
                for(u = 0; u < wy; u++)
                {
                    for(v = 0; v < wx; v++)
                    {
                        x = x_p = v*fabs(cos_val[orient[i][j]]) + u*fabs(sin_val[orient[i][j]]);
                        y = y_p = -v*fabs(sin_val[orient[i][j]]) + u*fabs(cos_val[orient[i][j]]);
                        x_p = x_p*x_p;
                        y_p = y_p*y_p;

G_Filter = exp(-0.5*((x_p/sigma_x) + (y_p/sigma_y)))*cos(2*PI*f*x);
                        sum += G_Filter * (double)ImageData[i-wy/2+u][j-wx/2+v];
                    }
                }
                OPData[i][j] = sum;
            }
        }
        return 0;
    }
    You are recalculating a lot of things in the inner loop that don't change. The first thing you should do is take fabs(cos_val[orient[i][j]]) out of these loops, even if it's just for readability.
    Second, you can use a pointer instead of ImageData[i-wy/2+u][j-wx/2+v]. Something like
    Code:
    //...
    for(u = 0; u < wy; u++) {
        unsigned char* pImageData = &ImageData[i-wy/2+u][j-wx/2];
        for(v = 0; v < wx; v++, ++pImageData) {
            //...
            sum += G_Filter * (*pImageData);
        }
    }
    Such changes could give a small to medium performance improvement. A more substantial speed up would require to rethink the problem, such that a lot of work is taken outside of the innermost loop. This may be possible by refactoring the sum you are calculating for each i and j.

bibhu.
    Putting in a little effort to search the internet doesn't hurt you, you know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lookup_table

In the code you posted, there are only 8 * 11 * 11 < 1000 possible different inputs for the value of G_Filter. You can easily pre-calculate those before the outermost loop and store them in an array. Then the body of the innermost loop becomes nothing more than two lookups, a multiplication and an addition. That'll likely make a big difference.

Some general remarks:
    - Are you timing a fully optimized build?
    - Since it seems that you don't care about precision very much (given the amount of decimals in the hard coded values), you should try using floats instead of doubles.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Thanks D_Drmmr

Now it is working faster.

bibhu.

bibhu.
    You are using a lookup table right here:
    Code:
     cos_val[0] = 1;cos_val[1] = 0.923879;cos_val[2] = 0.707106;cos_val[3] = 0.382683;
        cos_val[4] = 0;cos_val[5] = -0.382683;cos_val[6] = -0.707106;cos_val[7] = -0.923879;

sin_val[0] = 0;sin_val[1] = 0.382683;sin_val[2] = 0.707106;sin_val[3] = 0.923879;
        sin_val[4] = 1;sin_val[5] = 0.923879;sin_val[6] = 0.707106;sin_val[7] = 0.382683;
    Where did those values for sin and cos come from? You didn't compute them in your program, right? So there is a lookup table right there in your own program.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Hi Bibhukalyana,

I am interested in Gabor Filter for a Image. I would like to know what would (int ** orient) contain for a mxn image. I would wait for your response.

Regards,
    Jagmohan