Hi everyone,

I'm a moderate-level C++ programmer who is a little rusty at the moment. I've got an object question which is driving me nuts. I'm sure this is a C++ 101 level question, but for the life of me, I can't recall the solution. Basically, I've got one object which has to access private data in another object... and can't.

Here's the specifics: I'm writing a little war game program where players deploy units (soldiers, tanks, planes, etc.) onto a gameboard. Players and Units are modeled as objects:

Code:
class GameUnit {
  public:
    string GetName()  {return Name;}
  protected:
    string Name;
};

class Player {
  public:
    void ListUnits();
  protected:
    vector<GameUnit*> MyUnits;
};

void Player::ListUnits() {
  for(unsigned int i=0; i<MyUnits.size(); i++) {
    cout<<MyUnits[i]->GetName()<<"\n";
  }
}
Here's the problem: In the above code, Player's ListUnits() function doesn't work because Player can't access GameUnit's GetName() function. Specifically, here's the compiler's error message:

Code:
In file included from Main.cpp:18:
Player.h: In member function 'void Player::ListUnits()':
Player.h:47: error: 'GetName' undeclared (first use this function)
Player.h:47: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
I've tested enough to realize that the problem is the GameUnit::GetName() function is a public function within the GameUnit object. Why can't a Player call this function? Making both friend classes of each other doesn't help. Do I have to make these guys related somehow?

I'm sure this is a fairly simple problem, but I can't find the solution for the life of me.

Many thanks,
-P