CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: My very first C program (Windows - console)

I don't see any point in breaking a function into smaller pieces just because it's too long. It's one logical concept. You end up massaging and making things more complex for no real benefit.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jlewand61
    I don't see any point in breaking a function into smaller pieces just because it's too long. It's one logical concept. You end up massaging and making things more complex for no real benefit.
    The benefit is that you end up with smaller pieces that are easier to verify correct by inspection, and which can be more easily unit tested. Besides this, the abstraction means that a reader can more easily "ignore" parts of the functions that calls these smaller pieces because he/she already knows what they do, and either knows that they are correct or will verify their correctness if need be.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jlewand61 View Post

I appreciate everyone's comments.
    I'm curious, did you really come here for advice on your first program? You seem to be finding reasons to disagree with everything we're saying.

Beside bad coding style observations (some of them already pointed above) like bad naming, global variables, ignored warnings, too complex functions, "java-style" brackets, reinvented wheels and so on, I have an additional one.

Let's make a simple program based on few lines from your code (being closer to "my very first C program" ).
    Code:
    // My_Test_Console.cpp
    #include <windows.h>
    #include <tchar.h>

#define MAXDLA 40        // max # entries in drive-letter array
    #define MAXSOPTA 40      // max # entries in space option file array
    TCHAR TCHbuff[MAX_PATH]; // GetLogicalDriveStrings
    TCHAR dlal[MAXSOPTA][3]; // driveletter 00 - NO COLON
    TCHAR dlay[MAXDLA][12];	 // drive type - FIXED -room for REMOVABLE?
    int dlat = 0;            // num of entries - or next element to populate

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
       // populate driveletter and drive type
       dlal[dlat][0] = TCHbuff[0];
       dlal[dlat][1] = _T('\0');
       _tcscpy_s ( dlay[dlat], _T("FIXED") );

return 0;
    }
    My_Test_Console.cpp compiles with no problem.
    However, if change the source file extension from ".cpp" to ".c" telling Visual Studio to use C compiler it gives an error.
    Why the C compiler complains while the C++ one has nothing to say?

Let's take a look in _tcscpy_s (strcpy_s, wcscpy_s) documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.80).aspx
    We can notice overloaded functions strcpy_s/wcscpy_s.
    In the above program, we've passed two parameters, then C++ compiler choses the (template) one which requires two parameters.
    The C compiler gives an error because it expects three parameters.

To keep in mind
    Unlike C++, C language has not:
    • function overloading;
    • template functions;

Conclusion
    1. if write a C-style program, does not mean it will be always obviously C compiled;
    2. although related, C an C++ are different programming languages;
    3. everytime we are using a library function, we have to pay a serious attention to its documentation.
    Last edited by ovidiucucu; February 28th, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF
    I'm curious, did you really come here for advice on your first program? You seem to be finding reasons to disagree with everything we're saying.
    Speaking of this, jlewand61, in a message board community that you participated in, I responded to one of your threads with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewand
    C syntax is very, very cryptic compared to ALL those other languages I've been exposed to over the past 30+ years.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewand
    Again, simple things like, when you call a function, the local variables in that function are no longer available once that function ends. It's "obvious" that's how C works, but it's not intuitive as the whole concept of recursion is so alien a concept that I've never even thought about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight
    Out of curiosity, but what programming languages have you been exposed to over the past 30+ years? I find it hard to imagine that a programmer with as much experience as you would find recursion to be an alien concept when it has been a staple of various programming languages for decades, presumably even before you wrote your first program, notably the Lisp family before C was invented. Likewise, I am hard pressed to think of a high level programming language in common use that does not have a concept of scope for variables local to a function, even if they differ in the details. Consequently, it sounds like you are experiencing "culture shock" at the different paradigms of a higher level programming language, rather than because C is cryptic (although it is cryptic in some ways, but then, any programming language that is not a "natural language" is cryptic to some extent).
    Maybe you would like to keep an open mind about the suggestions made here? If you are indeed experiencing a "culture shock", there may be an automatic reaction to fall back on what you know from your assembly language experience, even if it does not necessarily apply when programming in C (or C++).
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Speaking of this, jlewand61, in a message board community that you participated in, I responded to one of your threads with this:

Maybe you would like to keep an open mind about the suggestions made here? If you are indeed experiencing a "culture shock", there may be an automatic reaction to fall back on what you know from your assembly language experience, even if it does not necessarily apply when programming in C (or C++).
    Yeah, unless you're talking about COBOL or something, recursion and local variables shouldn't be an alien concept. They're pretty common in just about all modern high-level languages that I know of. Recursion is a basic theme in any algorithms course.

Recursion is an alien concept from a programming standpoint. In all the assemblers I've worked on, there is no such thing as "local" or "global" variables. Variables are simply addressible storage.

Recursion is an alien concept from a programming standpoint. In all the assemblers I've worked on, there is no such thing as "local" or "global" variables. Variables are simply addressible storage.
    Not from a programming standpoint it isn't. It's a fundamental concept taught early in any programming course. Assembly programming is a long way removed from any higher level language. If that's all you have experience with, you'll need to wipe your brain clean when it comes to approaching problems and start again.

In all the assemblers I've worked on, there is no such thing as "local" or "global" variables.
    We are talking here about C and C++ languages and not about Assembly.
    Ovidiu

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Experience, not "reasons". It shouldn't bother anyone whether I take advice or not. It wouldn't bother me if someone deflected my advice. I've sincerely asked to help me get into good C coding habits. C is a new animal and I'm trying to develop good habits from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by ovidiucucu View Post
    We are talking here about C and C++ languages and not about Assembly.
    I was resopnding to the comment that recursion or local/global variables should not be foreign concepts. They ARE. Quite so.

I've sincerely asked to help me get into good C coding habits. C is a new animal and I'm trying to develop good habits from the start.
    Well then, just forget the old habits.
    Like somebody already said, C is not Assembly and vice versa.
    Ovidiu

In all the assemblers I've worked on, there is no such thing as "local" or "global" variables. Variables are simply addressible storage.
    In practically every single mid to high level language, there are such things as local and global variables. Whether it is C, C++, Pascal, FORTRAN, VB, C#, Java, I could go on and on listing all the languages where local and global variables exist.

In none of these languages is it desirable to "globalize" your variables to such an extent as your code does. It isn't just the few voices here saying it, every expert will tell you the same thing.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Just to note: At least MASM does support local variables since a bunch of versions. I've never used that feature myself, though, since I never felt the urge to write anything in assembler that needs local variables or does recursion.

And local variables are even so non-strange that there's even hardware support for them to some extent in some CPU architectures (including the x86, BTW ).
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

If a function is long, yet it serves a single purpose and does not include code duplication, then I tend to agree. Separating code just to make each function fit on a single screen doesn't help readability IMO.
    However, if there is code duplication like in various places in your code, then that should be factored out even in small functions. This makes the program easier to maintain, test and understand.

Something that hasn't been mentioned (unless I missed it) is that several of your functions have multiple exit points (i.e. return statements). Also, you are calling exit in quite a lot of places. In a C++ program that would be OK, since resources should be managed using RAII classes anyway. But in C that's not possible, so having multiple exit points makes it very hard to properly manage resources in all possible execution paths.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast